Mouseover

jnf555

i think i am missing something out here anyone help, i want it to change background color when i hover over<html><head><style type="text/css">.a {background-color : yellow;}.a hover {background-color : blue;}.a {width:300px;height300px}</style></head><body><div class=a>hover over to change background color</div></body></html>thanksjnf555

<html><head><style type="text/css">.a {background-color : yellow;}.a:hover {background-color : blue;}.a {width:300px;height300px}</style></head><body><div class=a>hover over to change background color</div></body></html>sorry stiil not working

Guest FirefoxRocks
<div class="a">
Quotation marks are not necessary when the value of the attribute is alphanumeric characters with no spaces. However it does make your code look cleaner.

<html><head><style type="text/css">.a{background-color : yellow;}.a:"hover" {background-color : blue;}.a {width:300px;height300px}</style></head><body><div class="a">hover over to change background color</div></body></html>still not working any other advice welcome

Remove the quotation marks around "hover"... how did they get there in the first place?And don't use IE6?

Quotation marks are not necessary when the value of the attribute is alphanumeric characters with no spaces. However it does make your code look cleaner.
Attribute values must be quoted
And to jnf555, that should be height:300px; don't forget the colon.

Guest FirefoxRocks
In certain cases, authors may specify the value of an attribute without any quotation marks. The attribute value may only contain letters (a-z and A-Z), digits (0-9), hyphens (ASCII decimal 45), periods (ASCII decimal 46), underscores (ASCII decimal 95), and colons (ASCII decimal 58). We recommend using quotation marks even when it is possible to eliminate them.
They are only recommended but not necessary with characters A-Z, 0-9, - . : and _.

They are only recommended but not necessary with characters A-Z, 0-9, - . : and _.
Yeah, just like closing tags are recommended, but not necessary when unambiguous... well, maybe not exactly like that :) but I would advocate to always use quotation marks for consistency and just in case.And talking about unnecessary, you don't actually need a semicolon on the last attribute in a CSS rule... but I would still put it.

In certain cases, authors may specify the value of an attribute without any quotation marks. The attribute value may only contain letters (a-z and A-Z), digits (0-9), hyphens (ASCII decimal 45), periods (ASCII decimal 46), underscores (ASCII decimal 95), and colons (ASCII decimal 58). We recommend using quotation marks even when it is possible to eliminate them.
All attribute values must be quoted, even those which appear to be numeric.
I guess it all depends which language you're using.

I guess it all depends which language you're using.
In Driver's Ed., they teach you to use your turn signal before every turn, even if no one's there to see it. That way, the behavior is automatic, so when it needs to be correct, you don't have to waste time thinking and choosing. Same thing here. Just put the values in quotes every time. You'll always be right, and you'll never have to think about it.

SGML doesn't require quotes, XML does.And anyway, it's illegal to fail to indicate, even if no-one's around - you never know where the police are hiding :)

@jnf555 change the class name from a to something else , to avoid confusion with anchor tag.

<!DOCTYPE html ><html>  <head>	<style type="text/css">	.mydiv {	   background-color : yellow;	 /* all the basic properties here */	   width:300px;	   height:300px;					   /*  you forgot : and; in the end */	  }	.mydiv:hover  {	   background-color : blue;	   /* only properties you want to change on hover event */	  }  </style></head><body>  <div class="mydiv">  hover over to change background color  </div></body></html>

you may also use <div id="mydiv">.... in HTML and #mydiv{..., #mydiv:hover.... in CSS.

Archived