Web Based Game

thaiscorpion

Hiya all again,well ive got a few questions that i cant find a straight answer for but im sure someone here on the forum knows the answers so here we go:im planning on making a web based game(mmorpg) i have a basic knoledge of html,css, verybasic php and read threw sql and xml, now i know that a web based game takes a long time specially mmorpg i dont expect miracles, but i do expect dialy progress :) my questions.1: what languajes will i need to know to make a web based mmorpg, if there are a few for the same function witch do you think would be better.2: to what extent should i learn each of these languajes, ex: htlm=good css=excepcional etc.3: out of the languages needed what should i use each one for, i get a bit confused with that :)PD: ive allready planned the total game and all aspects, almost 50 pages of word :(thanx in advance.EDIT: well i dont really want to make it in flash is more a text based game then grafics but some simeple images showing equipment and items i do want to have but i dont think that flash i necesecy, and the server isnt a problem ive allready got one :) just need to learn but dont know what or in what order :)

MMORPG? With an interface showing items, characters, places... etc?You'd need something like Flash, and connect to a CGI script or similar with sockets.You'd need to host it on a server with a lot of resources (there likely are no free servers of that kind).

It's hard to tell you what to learn without knowing what you want to do with it, but in general you use HTML and CSS for the basic page layout. If you want any animation or actions to happen on the page, you use Javascript. PHP is used to process the actions on the server and update the database if necessary. It won't really be that easy for a beginner, but if you use a framework like ExtJS you can have some pretty cool interfaces like a game, like you could press a button to bring up an inventory window and see all your stuff in a backpack or something like that, where you could drag it around the screen or resize or whatever. ExtJS has good support for drag and drop, different data views like a grid or tree structure, resizing elements, communicating with the server using AJAX, etc. It won't be all that easy to learn, especially if you don't know Javascript (you need to get comfortable with Javascript before starting with ExtJS), but it's pretty powerful stuff.

With PHP all you can do is make a text-base game. I suggest you learn Java. Several MMO's, including RuneScape, are made in Java because of it's abilities in GUI and such.Alternatively, you can learn VB, Flash or C++. (Although the latter won't be a web-based game as much as a computer game.)

Archived