Debugging

unknown gamer

Basically what i'm trying to do is check a Cookie to see if there is a username, if there is make a clear button and write the name.If it isn't it makes a box and submit button to set the cookie to the username entered. Everything but the clear button works. I am in Firefox and the debugging tool finds no syntax errors. Right now all it does is when clicked call a function which alerts something. I have no idea why it's not doing that. Here is the code:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN""http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd"><html><head><meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html;charset=UTF-8"><title>Chat</title>	<script type="text/javascript" src="cookie.js"></script><script type="text/javascript">function clear(){alert("cleared");}function check(){	   if (navigator.cookieEnabled){		  userName = readCookie("user");}		if (userName){document.getElementById("enteru").type="hidden";document.getElementById("submit").type="hidden";document.getElementById("enterut").innerHTML="";		  document.getElementById("user_name").innerHTML=userName;}		else{		  document.getElementById("user_name").innerHTML="no username available";		  document.getElementById("enteru").type="text";document.getElementById("submit").type="submit";}}function setu(){var user = document.getElementById("enteru").value;if (user){ if (navigator.cookieEnabled){			  writeCookie("user", user, 5 * 365);alert("cookie set");}else{			  alert("Cookies aren't supported/enabled in your browser, which means I won't remember you later. I'm sorry.");}}}</script></head><body onLoad="check();"><label>username?</label><div id="user_name"></div><label id="enterut">Enter a username:</label><input type="text" id="enteru"><input type="submit" value="submit" id="submit" onClick="setu();"><input type="submit" value="clear" id="clears" onClick="clear();"></body></html>

I'm wrong, though. Probably. I can't find it in any reserved word lists. PLUS:I can call clear() from the body tag (onload handler).I can call clear() from the script.I can assign clear to the button's click handler like this: document.getElementById("clears").onclick=clear;All these things work.But I cannot assign it with an onlick handler in a tag. Not an input tag, not a label tag, not a div tag.Of course, you shouldn't assign handlers in tags anyway.But this is weird. Maybe it's related somehow to the CSS attribute?

It may not be a keyword, but it is a method of the document object:

<script type="text/javascript">alert(document.clear);</script>

Excellent. According to MDC, it's a DOM-level 0 function that hasn't done anything since before Netscape 4. But it still exists, as the alert does indicate.Mystery solved, I would say.

Excellent. According to MDC, it's a DOM-level 0 function that hasn't done anything since before Netscape 4. But it still exists, as the alert does indicate.Mystery solved, I would say.
I would agree with that.

Archived