Newbie Question...

MattUK

Looking for some advice on starting to desgin a web site/page templates. whats the best way to start...design with pen paper first ?how do you construct your page/site layout ??Many thanks Matt.

well...first of all, welcome to the forumi would recommend that you get to grips with what html is all about and a few of the basic tags here - http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_intro.aspthen, once you've tried the examples out, see how they work, you could try to build a page out of that you've learnt, basically a bit of everything to practise the tags, it doesn't have to be much sense, and you dont need to put it on the web either as you can view html documents on your own computer with your browser (which should be firefox and definatly not explorer :) :) )if you find you want something doing but cant see how to do it with what you know, then come and ask us, show the code you got and any attempts you've made at what your trying to achieve, and we'll point you in the right direction for an answer.hope that helps:(

To work a template you must first desighn where you are going to put your navigation & boxes ect on a website you can have as many text boxes on the same page as you want below is a HTML code to creating your page you can edit the width and were you would like it to apear on the page change the page from main.htm to whatever page you would like it to link to: <TD rowSpan=6 vAlign=top bgcolor="#000000"> <iframe src="main.htm" name="content" width="620" height="400" scrolling="auto" frameborder="0"></iframe></TD> That would apear as a box on your website with whatever is on your page when you create the page for it you may use HTML to change the font and bg colour it would look something likes this<body bgcolor="#000000" text="#000000" link="#000000" vlink="#000000" alink="#000000"> By changing the colour number it will change your font and background colour for more info on this check out http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_colors.asp it explains all the basic colours!

Thanks for the Wecome real_illusions :) I have little experience with html, and have just bought 2 books on X/HTML and CSS which should give a good start.Oh while I am here.....whats with the FIREFOX browser...why should I be using it and not Explorer ? I have been using explorer for a while now and never had any problems? is firefox better ?.....be gentle....I am a newbie.Again thanks for the replies Illusions, Dale :) Matt.

Oh while I am here.....whats with the FIREFOX browser...why should I be using it and not Explorer ? I have been using explorer for a while now and never had any problems? is firefox better ?.....be gentle....I am a newbie.
hehe..apart from explorer goes against the grain of w3 standards and renders things differently making it almost impossible to make a webpage appear exactly the same in both explorer and other browsers without too much stress is a good enough reason :)plus loads of other user friendly stuff that explorer doesn't have.most people here seem to hate explorer in some way or another anyway :)

Lol, I just got Firefox. Its MUCH better than Internet Explorer. Its updated more frequently. People seem to use Internet Explorer because its from Microsoft and comes with Windows. (That used to be me).Back on the site layout...I like to draw a web of all the pages, starting with the homepage, with arrows representing the anchors/link rels. Good Luck!-newbman :)