New Version

jarrett000

This is just a prottotype site until I can get good enough at it, by default I did what w3schools does (not nearly as well) and like I said this site is just my foundation.I've been working on it for some time now (thus the lot of question I ask here) but I don't think it's good enough yet. I would like some criticism (or praise) from both the code and looks point of view so I can adress both correctly.This is it.

Hey Jarrett,The first thing that caught my eye was the fact that the navigation buttons and the banner size with the window.I don't think this is good, since it makes the images look bad quality. You might wanna change that.Also, because you made it a full-screen website, it looks like there's not enough content. I don't like full-screen websites, but it's up to you.Last thing I'd change a bit are the colours. You took a good matched set of colours, but it's a bit plain to only see 2 colours.You can fix this by using more pictures or just change the CSS so it uses more colours.Altogether I think it's a good website, keep improving and it'll be perfect!~ Yvil

Hiya. The site does a weird thing when I tried to open it in IE: it kept going to the Mozilla Firefox site. It opened in Firefox fine, though. Strange.I agree about the stretching of images, and that your logo and toolbar would look a lot sharper if they were smaller. The other thing is that some of the HTML you are teaching is a little sloppy, for example the lack of closing tags on any of your tables. That's not good form and, as I understand it, won't work well on the next generation of browsers.

Yes, I gave up trying to fix the problem with IE so I did made it redirect to the firefox dl page.
:) but what about clients in enterprise environments?And why do I have to enter my name?Also, the nav bar is messed up on all the other pages (Chrome on WinXP).

You don't HAVE to enter you're name, the links to all the pages are there thats so I can adress you personally as opposed to "welcome user" I can say "welcome synook", its optional unless you want the information page. I know the nav bar is messed up but I don't know why, I deleted the css for the bar and then pasted it all back on the index and that fixed but I have no idea why. If you are able to tell me that would be nice I've read over it several times. As for people in enterprise enviroments, frankly, I don't care whatsoever I like firefox so if you're using IE deal with it and dl FF.

The main things that got the red flag ...1. Buttons are way too large (smaller nav buttons the better)2. Blue text is hard on eyes to read (maybe use white or cream colors for text on top of the dark background.3. Content is lacking. 4. Header is too large (H1)I think you have a nice design going there though. Just keep working on it, that's the only way to learn.

I'm on Firefox 3 on my Mac, and I got bounced to the Firefox page. I suppose your browser sniffing is incomplete.
I'm using
<!--[if IE]><script type="text/javascript">location.href = "http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/firefox.html";</script><![endif]-->

So I wouldent know why that would happen.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The main things that got the red flag ...1. Buttons are way too large (smaller nav buttons the better)2. Blue text is hard on eyes to read (maybe use white or cream colors for text on top of the dark background.3. Content is lacking.4. Header is too large (H1)I think you have a nice design going there though. Just keep working on it, that's the only way to learn.
Thank you for the input, I agree with you mostly, and I'll probably change those things here soon.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A bit of a problem that could cause some headaches...because of the way people enter their name, your website is vulnerable to XSS , in which anyone could put arbitrary code into your page to manipulate it (on the client side, not necessarily change the server)http://www.jarrettcode.com/?enterN=%3Cmarq...;%3C/marquee%3E as an example...
I honestly had no idea you could do that, I messed around with it and saw you could enter anything you want pretty much. I think I'll prevent that by returning the form false if any sort of greater or less than symbol is included in the box.

• 1 month later...

"We are currently redisigning our website to fix a few problems as well as improve some of our lessons. We should be back up in less than a month. "You dun spelled design wrong. </suggestion>

Archived