Newbe Would Like Help Please

Beg

Hello to everyone. As you see from the title above i would like some help as a person interested in developing skill in website buildingat this stage mainly html,xhtml,css and later intend on including flashhave just started learning html through the tutorials on this site.one thing it seems to miss is how you can start building your own site outside of the tutorial editorso if some one can help with that to start with GreatAlso would like to be able to send coding that i have done to some one that wont mind looking at it and making sujestions or showing corrections Thank you in AdvanceAlso would like to thank W3schools for providing such valuable information and tutorials "FANTASTIC SITE"

Building and publishing a site is easy. All you need is:

• A company to host your site
  • An FTP (File Transfer Protocol) program, like CuteFTP
  • The relevant data to plug into the FTP program (FTP address of your site's folder, username and password)
  • A domain registered with the hosting company
  • Pages of code

CuteFTP, like most FTP programs, asks you once for the login information for your FTP space, and then stores it, so once you open the program, you choose which site you want to access, and one side of the window will have folders which represent the space you have on the remote server, while the other is the folders on your computer. You drag and drop from one side to the other and that's it.

If all you want is to work with HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, your first learning experiences can take place right on your desktop. You can create HTML files in any text editor, save them as plain text (or HTML if that is an option), and give them a .html extension. Now you can load your file directly into your browser.I suspect most page developers begin most of their pages this way, especially when testing images. I don't usually move a page to my server until (a) it's done, (2) I need to check cross-browser issues, or (3) it needs server-side scripting, like PHP.In other words, you can learn A LOT without a server.

Ooh, I'll have a fuuuuuuuuuudge if there's some going...

Thank you for your input good information will note it for later

Building and publishing a site is easy. All you need is:
  • A company to host your site
  • An FTP (File Transfer Protocol) program, like CuteFTP
  • The relevant data to plug into the FTP program (FTP address of your site's folder, username and password)
  • A domain registered with the hosting company
  • Pages of code

CuteFTP, like most FTP programs, asks you once for the login information for your FTP space, and then stores it, so once you open the program, you choose which site you want to access, and one side of the window will have folders which represent the space you have on the remote server, while the other is the folders on your computer. You drag and drop from one side to the other and that's it.

Thank you for the help what you have written is more inline with what i want to be able to do to start with. then later load it to the web etc Was woundering if we are able to exchange E-Mail Addresses Hope you might like to send me some basic website building task so i can test my skill. Oh and i see someone gets there kicks out of trying to spam the site

If all you want is to work with HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, your first learning experiences can take place right on your desktop. You can create HTML files in any text editor, save them as plain text (or HTML if that is an option), and give them a .html extension. Now you can load your file directly into your browser.I suspect most page developers begin most of their pages this way, especially when testing images. I don't usually move a page to my server until (a) it's done, (2) I need to check cross-browser issues, or (3) it needs server-side scripting, like PHP.In other words, you can learn A LOT without a server.

Was woundering if we are able to exchange E-Mail Addresses Hope you might like to send me some basic website building task
It's generally better if you keep posting to the board. I may not be around when you have time to practice, but someone will be.

ok thanks for thatBy the way is there any order you should build a site like say for example text first ,bg color,tables ,images, links and so on ???

It's generally better if you keep posting to the board. I may not be around when you have time to practice, but someone will be.

Work from the outside in. I mean, start off picturing the largest, block-level shapes. Maybe you want a banner section at the top, a footer at the bottom, and two columns in the middle. You'd think about those shapes first. If any of those sections has sub-parts, like a form or a menu, think about those next.Whatever you do, don't start with your text. You will certainly end up with a mess. All you need to know at first is where the text is going to know; then you design a shape for it.

Ok Thats a good idea How do you plan on that? "Could exchange e Mails if we are allowed to through this"

welcome himme. iam also newbe here.im from indonesiawe could learn together in this site

Ok i need more detail as to how to do that pleaseOh and nice pic below very cool

You can also learn by viewing the source code on every site you visit. By looking at the code, how they were tagged or nested.

Thank you for that it seems to make sence now wasnt sure if we had to follow as in order of the tutorialsEG: doing headings and so on then to tables etc In the order of tutorial examples.So thanks again that has clarified it more for me.

Work from the outside in. I mean, start off picturing the largest, block-level shapes. Maybe you want a banner section at the top, a footer at the bottom, and two columns in the middle. You'd think about those shapes first. If any of those sections has sub-parts, like a form or a menu, think about those next.Whatever you do, don't start with your text. You will certainly end up with a mess. All you need to know at first is where the text is going to know; then you design a shape for it.

Yeah same HTML Then Xhtml Because thats the next Generation of Html and as you go through the atributes list for Html you will finr some have been changed for that reasonhope to do those two first then css and flash already had a look at flash and its not hard at all so all good so farask quetions from others on here if you need to Deirdre's Dad Has been of really great help to me so far and some very usfull info from a couple of others some wont apply till much later thoughany way good luck keep studying and dont give up and keep in touchJust so you know Im in New Zealand

i have a plan to learn HTML first.how about you??

Hi again mark . Can you give me a break down on how you go about finding the source code needs to be detailed im new. And to you probably seem dumb lol

You can also learn by viewing the source code on every site you visit. By looking at the code, how they were tagged or nested.

Ok thats easy thanks. I asume there would be security of sorts to stop people hacking sites or changing Atributes etc or in other words stuffing someones site up? Not that im into that but there must be peolpe out there with that mind set

Find the web page, right click and choose "View source code"

Ok thats easy thanks. I asume there would be security of sorts to stop people hacking sites or changing Atributes etc or in other words stuffing someones site up? Not that im into that but there must be peolpe out there with that mind set
thats rights just right click and view source

They can't really change anything, because the file would have the be uploaded the server. When click view source code, think of it as opening notepad. That is basically all I can tell you, not very good at the security.

If you want to try to edit the code on other sites, there are several tools. If you use Opera to view the source, you can edit it and hit Save and it will update the page you're looking at. You can also use Firebug to edit the HTML or CSS for a page online to see how it changes.

thank you for your input I value all input like this as its usfull knowledge

If you want to try to edit the code on other sites, there are several tools. If you use Opera to view the source, you can edit it and hit Save and it will update the page you're looking at. You can also use Firebug to edit the HTML or CSS for a page online to see how it changes.

When you view source, you view the version that is downloaded to your computer, not the one on the server. So you won't be able to see stuff like PHP code or other server side code, since that's all done before the page is sent. If you edit anything, you're only editing the version on your computer and won't effect the server's page or the page downloaded on anyone else's computer. Does that make sense?As justsomeguy says, there are tools to test edits, but you'll be the only one to see them, and they won't be applied to the server's page, once again.If I were you, I'd focus on HTML and CSS for a while, and build with a strict DOCTYPE so you're building to standards. A lot of sites aren't so using their source as examples could teach you bad habits. If you have a question about something on someone's site, you could always post the URL and explain what you want to know. People on here are friendly enough someone will come to the rescue. Who knows, it could be me :).

Hey thanks for your input seems you are right people here seem friendly enough to help so thats great and so far all the info i have been given by people like yourself has been very usefull.have been doing as you sugested focusing on html & css

When you view source, you view the version that is downloaded to your computer, not the one on the server. So you won't be able to see stuff like PHP code or other server side code, since that's all done before the page is sent. If you edit anything, you're only editing the version on your computer and won't effect the server's page or the page downloaded on anyone else's computer. Does that make sense?As justsomeguy says, there are tools to test edits, but you'll be the only one to see them, and they won't be applied to the server's page, once again.If I were you, I'd focus on HTML and CSS for a while, and build with a strict DOCTYPE so you're building to standards. A lot of sites aren't so using their source as examples could teach you bad habits. If you have a question about something on someone's site, you could always post the URL and explain what you want to know. People on here are friendly enough someone will come to the rescue. Who knows, it could be me :).

Archived