Xhtml Output With Php

jadiebrown

I am using Aptana for an exercise coming directly from a php study guide. The idea is to create a very basic table to understand more about creating XHTML output in the PHP language. I am using the output method. I have also tried the same exercise using Heredocs but still have the same problem.Problem: When viewed in a browser the table is only one cell. There should be four cells (two rows, two columns). But all the text is just evenly spaced in one cell - no table as such.Here is the code I have used which comes directly from the guidebook I am using for study:<?php$name = "John";$address = "123 Main Str.";$output = " ";$output .= "<table style= \"border: 1px solid black\ "> \n";$output .= " <tr> \n";$output .= " <td>Name</td> \n";$output .= " <td>$name</td> \n";$output .= " </tr> \n";$output .= " <tr> \n";$output .= " <td>Address</td> \n";$output .= " <td>$address</td> \n";$output .= " </tr>$output .= "</table>print $outputPS if anybody knows what the third line of the code (output = " ":) is for, that would be great!

Apologies my coding was a little messy; here is the correct code I used:<?php$name = "John";$address = "123 Main Str.";$output = " ";$output .= "<table style= \"border: 1px solid black\ "> \n;$output .= " <tr> \n";$output .= " <td>Name</td> \n";$output .= " <td>$name</td> \n";$output .= " </tr> \n";$output .= " <tr> \n";$output .= " <td>Address</td> \n";$output .= " <td>$address</td> \n";$output .= " </tr> \n";$output .= "</table>\n";print $output?>

Are you just typing this code here or pasting it? This line looks broken both times you've shown it to us, but it's different both times, so I don't know what's going on for sure:$output .= "<table style= \"border: 1px solid black\ "> \n;The space between the final escape character and quotation mark is incorrect. And you do need a quote mark after the newline character.But I don't want to mess with this too much unless you're pasting the actual code, because little details make huge differences.$output = " ";This line just initializes $output so all the following lines can use the .= operator. You could lose this line if you took the dot out of the following line.

Yes. If you are going to use CSS to style a table, then the <td> elements need definitions also. Ideally, that would happen in a style sheet, not in the tags.The border property in the <table> tag is still legal, but you can have more control if you use CSS.But that's your decision.

Archived