{solved} Problems With Menu Etc

smerny

I was trying to play around with creating a menu that changes based on different background positions of a single image... I'm fairly new to CSS and I'm having troubles.This is the pageI'm very confused because it's like the stylesheet isn't doing most of the things... not giving me my background images, not floating left and right... heeelp, thanksthe image on the bottom is the image i am using for the buttons..and these are the notes i made while creating that image in photoshop, counting pixels down to the start of the part of the image i want to use for each... and the height of each:topNoHover (0,37)topHover (37,37)noHover (0,25)hover (49,25)bottomNoHover (0,37)bottomHover (49,37)

A few mistakes in your CSS:#head h1 #headerThis selector is going to match an item with id "header" that is a descendant of a <h1> element. There is no such item. "header" is a <h1> element. If you want to write this out the long way, it would look like this:#head h1#headerwith no space separating h1 and #header. But since #header is a unique id, you don't need that other stuff at all. Just call it:#headerThe same problem breaks this rule, and all the rules below it:#nav ul li .navTopItem aWe're looking for an <a> element inside a member of class "navTopItem" inside a <li> element. But "navTopItem" is the <li> element. So take out the space between them:#nav ul li.navTopItem aand all similar selectors below.While you're fixing things, add units to this definition:#head h1 a { display:block; width:550; height:150; }And check the image address on this one. My browser couldn't find it:background: url(http://www.dallasnicol.com/header/genericHeader550x150.png)

thanks... it always seems to be something so small that makes such a big difference.... doesn't look perfect but atleast i can see where i need to go from here...thanks again :)

uhm... ok there is one thing that i know that i will need... on the top link in the menu, how do i... change the vertical margin of the text? so that the text is in the area that changes when you mouseover

oh, i was trying to find a way to vertical align it at the bottom or something but that looks like it should have the same affect.. what is a kludge?EDIT: NVM: –noun Computer Slang.a software or hardware configuration that, while inelegant, inefficient, clumsy, or patched together, succeeds in solving a specific problem or performing a particular task.i'm pretty happy right now, it looks pretty cool... just need to do a bit of fine tuning.... thanks again =)

Archived