Printing/tiling Very Wide Pages

Rothgarr

Hi there. One of the search features of a site we manage returns VERY wide results (I'd say up to 4 pages wide x up to 20 pages vertical). Visitors sometimes need to print these results. There's no way we can make these tables any smaller.Shrinking to fit it WAY too small to read and printing landscape doesn't come close to fitting everything. When printed, the pages tile vertically -- but anything off to the rights get chopped offAre there any scripts, plug-ins, or other technology (either free or with a cost) that we can maybe implement on the site so that when a visitor prints the results it tiles, much like when you print a spreadsheet from Excel?Alternately, is there anything the end user can do to achieve this?Thanks!

Is it possible for you to show us a link to any of these search pages?
I wish I could! But the search and results are password protected for subscribers only (and we're under NDA for some parts).But if you could, imagine a table with up to 100 columns (that can't be squished any more than they are). The number of rows depends on the number of records returned. When printed, it *should* print about 5 pages across by however many pages down. But browsers only print 1 page across by however many pages down. Everything to the right is ignored...

You need to give a size for the 100 columns for me to see how wide it is approximately.
That's the thing... it's all dynamic depending on which columns the user decides to display. If I had to guess, the smallest table of results would be about 1,400 pixels wide and the widest would be about 4,000 pixels wide (if the user selects to view all info available per record)...

Give the users the option to download the results in comma separated format, which they could then open in Excel (or any spreadsheet or text editor) and print any way they like. If your server can output the results as HTML, it can certainly output as CSV.More complicated, but doable. Your server could output the data as PDF. This would give you granular control over positioning and tiling.

Give the users the option to download the results in comma separated format, which they could then open in Excel (or any spreadsheet or text editor) and print any way they like. If your server can output the results as HTML, it can certainly output as CSV.More complicated, but doable. Your server could output the data as PDF. This would give you granular control over positioning and tiling.
Interesting ideas. I'm not so sure about the CSV idea since the contents of half the cells are chart/icon images (not to mention the average skill level of the individuals doing the searches).But the PDF option just might work. I'll definitely look into that.I wasn't sure if there was some sort of script or HTML trick to tell a printer to tile horizontally in addition to vertically.

Archived