Submitting Forms And Variables

johnnyg24

I am submitting a form with the standard <input type="submit" name="patternSubmit" value="Search" />. I need to also pass a variable, "randomnumber", and it's value that I create in a function. The function creates a random number from 1 to a million:

function randomNum() {var randomnumber=Math.floor(Math.random()*1000000);}

all of the values of this form will be submitted to a program that will create an xml. The program will then use "randomnumber" as the file name of the xml. My question is how do I submit a form and all of its values plus the "randomnumber" value using JavaScript?

You can add a hidden input that stores your random number and populate it on page load:HTML:

<input type="hidden" id="randomnumber" name="randomnumber" />

java script:

function randomNum() {document.getElementById("randomnumber").value = Math.floor(Math.random()*1000000);}window.onload=randomNum;

EDIT: Also, as far as I am aware, your random number algorithm will produce numbers between 0 and 999,999 rather than 1 and 1,000,000.

I was always under the impression that Math.random goes from 0 to <1. The following test, run ten times to get 100,000,000 random numbers, never once produces a 1 (which would attempt to increment an element in the array that doesn't exist):

<html><body><script type="text/javascript">var output = [0,0,0,0,0];for(var i = 0; i < 10000000; i++){	output[Math.floor(Math.random()*output.length)]++;}document.write(output);</script></body></html>

I was always under the impression that Math.random goes from 0 to <1.
Actually, that's correct.
Returns a pseudo-random number in the range [0,1) — that is, between 0 (inclusive) and 1 (exclusive).
If you want a number from 1 to 10, you would do this:var v = Math.floor(Math.random() * 10) + 1;

Archived