Text Verification

iceman1411

I am creating a spry form in Dreamweaver CS4 and I am trying to make a sort of "human verification" field. I know that there are better ways of doing this than the way I will describe, but this is the way I want it (I am using spry because I like the way it informs you if something is not valid and because I know next to nothing about writing JavaScript).I have a spry text validation field and I want to give the user a set of numbers to enter (example 1234) into the text box. When the user clicks the submit button, what they entered is checked against what the code thinks it should be (if they entered 1324 instead) and whether or not it matched and inform the user if it did not. I cannot find a way to modify the code to allow me to do this, or if it is even possible. If anyone is familiar with the spry forms in Dreamweaver and can help, it would be very much appreciated. If I have to shy away from using spry for this particular part, then that would be acceptable. Many thanks!Mike B

The reason it wouldn't work against bots is because bots don't run Javascript, so they would just ignore the field and be able to submit the form anyways.

It would stop bots as long as there's no submit button that works without Javascript. But at least one thing would still need to be checked on the server side.

Sorry, probably should have been a little more specific in my first post. This is mainly for my own personal info, I'm not going to use this to protect any forms from bots so whether or not it will protect from them is not an issue. The main thing that I am looking for is a way to do this without having to use any server-side scrips if possible. For example, the user enters the correct number and clicks the submit button, the form is submitted. If the number does not match, the user is shown a message and the form is not submitted.Hope this helps to clear up and confusion!Mike B

Archived