Select To Blend Into Background

son

I want to blend in a select element into black website background. I tried:<select name="name" id="names" style="color:#FFF; background-color:#000; border:none;" >but the arrow does not show until you click the element (in Firefox). How is the correct way of achieving my objective?Thanks,Son

Hi, the select doesn't seem to receive any more styling other that you already have and some border properties (not sure if all the browsers support it for the select).I search for further styling and other than this i found a "way" to create a select using ul tags and a lot of js to mimic the select functionality.This doesn't help much but rather points the limits of HTML and CSS

Form elements are very difficult to style, because each browser makes them look however they like.In order to be more specific on styling form elements, we would also have to add extra CSS attributes so that different parts of the input (like in "file" inputs and <select> elements) can be styled individually.

Form elements are very difficult to style, because each browser makes them look however they like.In order to be more specific on styling form elements, we would also have to add extra CSS attributes so that different parts of the input (like in "file" inputs and <select> elements) can be styled individually.
A shame that this can not be done with 'normal' styling. JavaScript would not be an option as links are important to search engines (have keywords) and they need to be accessible to the majority of users (there are still some out there which disable JS as default). Should I give up then?Son

You can style form elements, to a certain point. I usually give them a background color and a border, however, things like the arrow from the <select> element are still chosen by the browser.

You can style form elements, to a certain point. I usually give them a background color and a border, however, things like the arrow from the <select> element are still chosen by the browser.
Thanks for your advice...Son

Archived