create website

choobakka

i would like to create a website such as:http://www.weddingherald.com/where the user can enter a name in the box.the user would then be presented with a list of matching results.if the user then clicked onto one of the results they would be presented with a username/password box.once the verification has taken plce, they will be able to access the contentwhat would be the best database type in order to achieve this and how would i go about creating it.also, is there any other languages (asp, ado etc) that i would need to achive the goal and if so how would i go about it?thanks in advance

There's no way to manipulate a database without the usage of a server side script(PHP, ASP(.NET), ColdFusion, etc.), so... yes... you need to know theese things well.

What language you choose is up to you. When you learn it's basics and some of it's more frequently used functions, you'll also see how to add accounts into that database, so when the user has his account and password correctly, he would acces the content. One thing though. A tatabase does NOT cotain images. It can however, contain referances to them which the server side can use to find them. Read the ASP, ASP.NET and ADO tutorials and come here again if you don't grasp something. I would had recommended the PHP tutorial as well, scince PHP is THE most popular server side scripting language, but the tutorial is not as complete as the ASP ones.

Techinically speaking, the database can store the binary code that makes up and image. And to re-render the image you could use a server side scripting language to do so. This techinique is used very often to protect copyrights. But, thats beside the point, boen_robot suggestions are good. You will need to learn a server site language to do the task you describe. I, personally, prefer Cold Fusion:http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/coldfusio...ng_started.htmlAlthought it is much easier to learn and just as powerful as other languages, it not as popular as ASP and PHP - and thats another story. Another factor you need to consider is the database type - mysql, ms sql, oracle, ms access. Typically, you will find ASP user choose MS SQL and php users choose mysql - cuz ASP is a Microsoft product and both mysql and php are open source.There is quite more to consider in your project, you might start with something smaller - give yourself a small exercise to get warmed up, if you will. Something like a web page or two that stores the names and phone numbers of your friends - something you don't have to think about or worry about planning - you want to focus on learning the techniques needed for your larger plan.