Marquee Web Site - My First Proper Site!

miocene

I've been working on a site for my friend's marquee business. I've been using MS Expression Web 2 and Notepad++ and have been grappling with CSS, web templates and the lot. My favourite achievement of the site is the (entirely CSS and HTML) drop down menu (hover over "marquees" on the menu bar) - took me an age. The transparency and background change don't however work in IE, despite the code complying with standards. The bar is still perfectly usable in IE.The site can be found here: http://topuptents.x10hosting.comIt's on temporary free (but very good) hosting. My friend owns the www.topuptents.com domain name and hopefully will transfer the new site when it is complete.I have validated the site on the w3c site and every page passes except the one with the embedded youtube video! Don't know how to fix that.Please note the site is not quite done: only half on the individual marquee pages are made, they will be done soon.Would love to hear any opinions and/or recommendations. Cheers

I think it looks really good. I'm still a noob in the web, but getting there. And by what I know of HTML and CSS, I know that there's a lot of work into this page. Gratz... I like the drop down menu and the transparency of it. Really like to know how u did it :) ...I only know little, only finished my first HTML and CSS book. By the looks of it you used some external methods to get the perfect aligning of the entire page. Cuase I am at a constand battle with aligning and tables and just don't get the hang of the proper aligning u have here. But all in all, I thing u did a good job so far...

Thanks for your feedback. The best way to get a good page layout is to use divs rather than tables. They are much easier to manage and the code is much neater.With regards to the drop down menu, it took me ages using CSS and there are JavaScript ones out there that do the same job. I used this tutorial and obviously modified the code to my liking:http://htmldog.com/articles/suckerfish/dropdowns/The great thing about this is that it is really easy to add/remove menu or sub-menu items - it's just a matter of editing the <ul>.Transparency came from 'opacity:0.8' CSS property which works in some browsers (not IE) but is not yet standards compliant. I also used 'filter:alpha(opacity=80)' for other browsers but again IE doesn't like it - crappy browser.I don't think there is currently any other way in CSS to do this.

Ok, I've now updated the site:-youtube page ("lifestyle") now is validated... (the whole site now complies)-site should resize and fit window for many resolutions except a few pages where I used tables. (the "marquees" and "extras" pages and also the gallery pages where I used a frame to display the gallery 'site' that I created in MS expression media and then edited to suit the site.) I will remove the tables and use divs in due course.If anyone knows an easy, clean and easily updatable photo gallery that is preferable to using a frame in the page (be it using JavaScript rather than creating a ton of web pages for displaying each photo) then I'd be very grateful 'cause it is quite inconvenient to make every gallery page fit perfectly into my content div.All comments and suggestions still appreciated. Cheers..Edit: Also added a faviconEdit2: changed site width to 990px as on low resolutions the % sizing meant some objects (described above) got pushed off the side on the page. Anyone with a res of less than 1024px across (and you should get a new computer/monitor if you do) will just have to scroll.

• 5 weeks later...

Its really good for a first timer.

• 3 weeks later...

Cheers for the critiques so far.I've revamped the site at client's request and added a bit of javascript for fading images and google maps (maps wont work due to key being for a different domain)I'd appreciate any further comments on the revamped site.cheers

Archived