Javascript Certification

Codeguru

I'm relatively new to the web languages and I see there is a certification for javascript available. Is this still a readily used language people would look for on a resume or would I be better skipping a javascript certification and just going for html and php? I often hear people complaining about javascript being used in pages and php would be a better choice, something along those lines, but I have no real experience with anything but base html, css, and javascript here and there. So, is it still worth being certified for Javascript?... CodeguruPS- Given that the HTML DOM is part of the javascript certification are we allowed references during the exam? I am not bad at memorizing by any means but that is a lot of crap to just have on instant recall. Or maybe is that why the tests are multiple choice instead of writing code, but even then there are questions that involve the parameters of the many functions.

Javascript and PHP, in that order. For some reason AJAX scares people, but you'll want to know it cold, and it's really not that hard. Start mysql when you have PHP about half-mastered. When you have that, if your host has it, learn Oracle too.Work on a portfolio. Make it really pretty with a few $hundred of pix from a service like Fotolia (there are cheaper, I think, but that's the one that comes to mind.)Take useful classes at a community college. CCs are not all the same. Some are happy to teach HTML using Dreamweaver, and that exhausts their whole program. Don't go there. Some will focus on things like Java and Netware. (Eeww!) Find a school that teaches the things you need/want to do. A certificate or diploma is best, but credits look good too, and sometimes you can get them without prereqs (like math), as long as you're not going for a certificate. Some schools will give you credit on day 1 if you can demonstrate the skills. You still pay, but it's faster. In other words, shop around.In a job interview, you WILL be asked to write code, not fill in multiple choice.

Well the thing is I graduated with a computer science degree that had not one required class in web anything. Most of them that wanted us to use any html or javascript just assumed we knew it. I don't have too much money to throw around at the moment which is why I'm looking at certification.Right now I've gone through HTML, XHTML, JAVASCRIPT, CSS, and am halfway through PHP. Being that I have been upkeeping a site for the past 2 years, most of the web code comes easily except for CSS since you don't touch it unless you are redesigning the site but it was pretty easy to learn. And with my long background in C and C++ and other languages I did in high school and college javascript and php are flowing pretty well. I plan to be constantly running through every tutorial I have access to on the site now that I'm ramped up for it, so I guess any more specific certification advice would be great. I live 5 minutes away from Marshall University but their CS or web development programs are in a sad state, they don't even have a computer science degree anymore, which is why I transferred from there and actually had to pay for college instead of going for free... CodeguruPS- I did happen to invest in a student copy of adobe web stuff including dreamweaver a while back, I intended to try and learn using that but yeah, I don't know what it wants half the time. Like trying to write an essay in english with a pen that only works in japanese. Which is why I'm trying to get a firm base in the languages that actually produce content and not the programs that just organize it.

I didn't take any web-oriented courses in college either, everything was programming theory, data structures, algorithms, software engineering, etc. If you have an understanding of C then Javascript and PHP should go pretty easy for you, both of them are similar to C. I don't think it's important to get a certificate if you know the material though, if you're interviewing for a job or something it would be more impressive to give examples of what you've done or even write code right there than it would be to show a certificate.

If u can show that your good at what u do in webdesign or whatever you don't have to worry i guess (don't flame me for saying this). Im not working with or around computers, because im only 16. But im not planning to do anything computer related. I do this as a hobby and im happy with the things i have been able to produce. And besides i don't think im smart enough for real computer stuff :)

I only know there are a lot of jobs that look for certification for office 2003 or excel or whatever other programs as a prereq and will just throw your resume in the trash otherwise. There can be many situations where I won't even get into an interview without a certification for something and if I do there's no guarentee the HR person I'm gonna be interviewed by is going to have the capacity to know weather or not I have good ability with the code even with a test. I know that just makes me sound like someone who's going to do whatever because I've already made my mind up but if the certifications here are no good there have got to be other ones that are better. I know my college degree is a whole other thing but it's still just documentation that people ABSOLUTELY will pass me over if I didn't have it... Codeguru

Archived