My Portfolio Design!

clbembry

The navbar sticking out the sides reminds me of a page I wrote before I understood the Box-model. :)Might want to change that. It looks less than professional.

• 3 weeks later...

sorry jlhaslip, I think you're wrong, Personally I like it when the nav bar overflows the side of the centre content. In fact, I believe you could extend it so it reaches the edges of the window.What I will say is that the nav bar image has too much height. I think it would look better at 3/4 the height.BTW, don't restrict yourself to 800px wide. I have found that 1024 is perfectly acceptable these days, and if you are truly developing for an audience using narrow screen resolutions, create a flexible design that is perfect at 1024 but will reduce in width to a min of 800px.It looks like your have used a slight grey to white gradient on the main content div, I suggesst you do not use a background image for the large maincontent area, but use white with black text, you are creating the appearance that the nav bar casts a shadow on the maincontent, but the maincontent should take presidence in importance over the navbar.I hope some of this gives you some ideas.

It's suspended! I have not seen it! hehehe well anyways any design is acceptable though we have rules and conventions and so on, it's a personal preference like if I like it black you like it white, that means im not wrong and i did not say you're wrong. I think the word wrong will apply only to a set of standards or a solid fact. but in design I think not. Have a nice day.

I wasn't implying that jlhaslip's opinion was wrong, only that it doesn't look like the site has been designed without knowledge of the box model, and that in fact, many sites these days use a centered layout with a nav bar that flows past the edge of the centre content. It's not an unsual choice for design, so I can't imagine why someone would assume the author didn't know how the box model affects the layout or why it would be thought of as 'less than professional'. Sorry if I came accross too strong. I just thought it was important that the author of the design did not go from here believing he/she had made a huge mistake.

No worries, I was not implying that you did something bad, maybe the way it reads or how I understood it. I already saw the site and I agree to your suggestions, your opinion thus make point. Maybe it's just the word wrong in respond to an opinion or suggestion, I think it is appropriate to say agree or disagree but you don't need to be bothered about this, it's just me. I am just here to learn from you guys that's why I have much respect to everyone.

It looks nice. The only thing I would do is add some more texture and some borders around things. Make it look like you put a lot of time into it.

Archived