Is It The Right Way To Start

MGadAllah

Please I want to ask for something I will start learning HTML, CSS, PHP from scratch and I will work as a free lancer for web projects Please I want to learn the right way and in a professional way What is the right or the correct way? Is it to : 1- Use the w3school website from a2z. 2- Get myself some eBooks and read it. 3- Use different tutorials from lynda ...etc Please advise and take into consideration that I do not have any back ground. Thanks

See the Topic in the General section about Editors.Many (most) of the regulars here use a text editor instead of the wysiwyg/dreamweaver editors.

I began my education for HTML and CSS by working through the W3Schools site, but did not achieve much success learning the different tags without a context, namely a site I wanted to create.I did a Google search for HTML and looked at many sites. I found that most were written using deprecated tags and did not employ CSS (I later on found out that this was the case). However I was able to work through the lessons and learn by doing the exercises. I kept a hand-written copy of the code as it was added with each lesson. I felt that I would retain the way the codes were written if I wrote them rather than printing them. This was a lot of work but in my opinion the best way to reinforce the content of the lessons. I was able to use the notes as reference.Remember that the sites I list below are probably out-of-date. But you will learn how to create a site and the use of the tags. Then you can make the step to current coding standards.This is the site I found most useful initially even though the lessons were written in 2000. It also has the most extensive coverage of the tags and their use in an actual site.Writing HTMLHTML GoodiesHTMLiteThis is the W3Schools tutorialW3Schools TutorialBeginning HTMLThese sites will get you started. There is much to learn so go at a reasonable pace and make notes. Some of what you learn will not be up to the current standards, but you will be able to replace these codes with the updated ones once you have learned the basics about writing code.Good Luck.EDIT:Here are links to deprecated tags. You may wish to copy the links or the information on the site for future reference. I Googled "deprecated tags" and found many sites.A general descriptionCode Help - Deprecated tagsW3Schools list and suggested current coding standardsW3Schools - presentationWhen you get to the stage where you understand the basics and can write a web page/site, return here with specific questions.

acutally i really liked 'html/css a visual quickstart guide' by peachpit press. good book. and goes over html/css well. only problem is that it uses tables for layout.learn how to use <div> for layout
What are the differences between both

What are the differences between both
tables are meant to be used for tabular data, but in early web days they were adopted so as to be used to structure web page layouts. To bring HTML back to a more semantic language, CSS was developed to put tables back in their place as being place holders for tabular data, and CSS for positioning, styling, etc.

I didn't add the information about tables in my original post. I didn't want to give too much information initially. But since the tables information has been posted, you should also know that the use of frames has also been replaced with div's.Learn the basics first using the tutorials and then update to current standards.

Learn the basics first using the tutorials and then update to current standards.
I this is absolutely trueThanks a lot guys

-Off Topic-I will do my own website with Drupal CMS as my learning project, so I thought to post about something in the same thread here instead of starting a new one. So any one has any advises for such a thing?

Archived