Newbie Questions

Spongebob

I am just learning Javascript. The below code should show which radio button a user selects, but unfortunately it doesn't work. What am I doing wrong? Also, any recommendations for books on javascript and/or the use of javascript in conjunction with HTML? - Thanks in advance!<html><head></head><script language=javascript type="text/javascript">function select (radio) { if (Selection == "RadioGroup1_0") { document.write("You selected the top button"); } else { document.write("You selected the bottom button"); }}</script><body><p> <label> <input type="radio" name="RadioGroup1" value="radio" id="RadioGroup1_0" /> Radio</label> <br /> <label> <input type="radio" name="RadioGroup1" value="radio" id="RadioGroup1_1" /> Radio</label> <br /></p>onClick="select('radio')"></body>

Your code hardly makes sense.You have <script> tags outside the <head> and <body>, you're missing a closing <html> tag.The following portion of code makes no sense at all.

onClick="select('radio')">

I don't see where the variable "Selection" is declared and where its value comes from.

if (Selection == "RadioGroup1_0") {

As Ingolme said, there are numerous errors in there.I think this is the sort of thing you mean (lifted almost exactly from the W3School examples):

<html><head><script type="text/javascript">function check(browser)  {  alert("Your favourite browser is: "+browser);  }</script></head><body><p>What's your favorite browser?</p><form><input type="radio" name="browser" onclick="check(this.value)" value="Internet Explorer">Internet Explorer<br /><input type="radio" name="browser" onclick="check(this.value)" value="Firefox">Firefox<br /><input type="radio" name="browser" onclick="check(this.value)" value="Netscape">Netscape<br /><input type="radio" name="browser" onclick="check(this.value)" value="Opera">Opera<br /></form></body></html>

Archived