How To Change An Item On Database

satimis

Hi folks,Ran following entry creating a database;

mysql> INSERT INTO users (id,name,maildir,clear) VALUES	-> ('xyz@aaa.com','xyz','xyz/', encrypt('password') ),	-> etc.	-> etc.	-> etc.;Query OK, 4 rows affected (0.00 sec)Records: 4  Duplicates: 0  Warnings: 0

Now I need changing "clear" to "crypt"Please advise how to make such a change. TIAB.R.satimis

Change is used to alter an existing column in a MySQL table. You can use change to rename a column by providing both the old column name, and the new column name. It is written as: alter table [table name] change [old column name] [new column name] varchar (30) ;ALTER users CHANGE clear crypt varchar (30) ;

Change is used to alter an existing column in a MySQL table. You can use change to rename a column by providing both the old column name, and the new column name. It is written as: alter table [table name] change [old column name] [new column name] varchar (30) ;ALTER users CHANGE clear crypt varchar (30) ;
Hi jlhaslip,Thanks for your advice.I'll run following commands
mysql> USE database;mysql> ALTER users CHANGE clear crypt varchar (30);

According to 12.1.7. ALTER TABLE Syntaxhttp://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/alter-table.html

CHANGE [COLUMN] old_col_name new_col_name column_definition		[FIRST|AFTER col_name]

I suppose "varchar (30)" is column_definition ? Where to find it?What is

[FIRST|AFTER col_name]

?TIAB.R.satimis

The column definition is the data type and everything else, like you specified in the initial CREATE statement.The [FIRST|AFTER col_name] section if for if you want to move the column's position to a different place.

Hi Synook,Thanks for your advice.

The column definition is the data type and everything else, like you specified in the initial CREATE statement.
If I don't change the column definition can I leave it without retyping it on the command?
The [FIRST|AFTER col_name] section if for if you want to move the column's position to a different place.
Could you please help me to understand the command to be entered? For example in my case;
INSERT INTO users (id,name,maildir,clear) VALUES

If I need to move "name" after "clear", whether typing;

-> ALTER users CHANGE name | clear

TIAB.R.satimis

Archived