Change Background By Day

cedric

Hi,I have a list of openinghours of a shop on a site.Now I would like to change the css of one <td> depending on the day of the week.Is that possible and if so could anyone tell me how??

You will need some Server Side Scripting to do that.I use php to create a different Background image on this page, depending on the time of day (relative to the Server time).http://www.jlhaslip.trap17.com/samples/misc/time.phpUnless the javascript guys can come up with another method?

You can use a Javascript date object to figure out which day of the week is it, or which day of the month.

var dateobj = new Date();var wday = dateobj.getDay();var mday = dateobj.getDate();switch (wday){  case 0: alert("Sunday"); break;  case 1: alert("Monday"); break;  case 2: alert("Tuesday"); break;  case 3: alert("Wednesday"); break;  case 4: alert("Thursday"); break;  case 5: alert("Friday"); break;  case 6: alert("Saturday"); break;}alert("It is the " + mday + " day of the month");

could you give me the php then please?
<?php$hour = date('H');if ($hour < 12 ) {	$image = "morning.png";}elseif ($hour < 17 ) {	 $image = "day.png";}else {	 $image = "night.png";}$image = imagecreatefrompng( "$image" );if (!$image) { /* See if it failed */		header("Content-type: image/png");		$im = imagecreatetruecolor (150, 30); /* Create a blank image */		$bgc = imagecolorallocate ($im, 255, 255, 200);		$tc = imagecolorallocate ($im, 0, 0, 0);		imagefilledrectangle ($im, 0, 0, 150, 30, $bgc);		/* Output an errmsg */		imagestring ($im, 1, 5, 5, "Error loading Image", $tc);		imagepng($im);		imagedestroy($im);		die();	}header("Content-type: image/png");imagepng($image);imagedestroy($image);?>

Save this code as "image.php" and use it as the background image for that table cell.Adjust the times as per your server time, and have the base Images available to be written.

There are two ways that spring immediately to mind:One is to alter the background-img property of the element, the other is to change the class that the element belongs to and have one defined for each day of the week.For the first:

<html></head><script type="text/javascript">var img = new Array()img[monday] = [i]imagepath1[/i]img[tuesday]= [i]imagepath2[/i]...function setBG() {var today = new Date()document.getElementById("change").backgroundImg="url("+img[today]+")"}</script></head><body><table><tr><td id="change">Content</td>....

Second way:

<html></head><script type="text/javascript">function setBG() {var today = new Date()document.getElementById("change").class=today}</script><style type="text/css">.monday {background-image:url("[i]imagepath1[/i]")}.tuesday {background-image:url("[i]imagepath2[/i]")}...</style></head><body><table><tr><td id="change">Content</td>....

Ha, guess it took me a while to type that...no one had replied when I started.

One easy way to do it with Javascript is to give your days IDs that coincide with the weekday value from the date object, and then use that to change the color.

...<td id="day0">Sun</td><td id="day1">Mon</td><td id="day2">Tue</td><td id="day3">Wed</td><td id="day4">Thu</td><td id="day5">Fri</td><td id="day6">Sat</td>...<script type="text/javascript">var dateobj = new Date();var wday = dateobj.getDay();document.getElementById("day" + wday).style.backgroundColor = "red";</script>

thanks a lot for all the fast answers.I think I will make it easy for myself and take the last one. I think it's greatthat you guys come up with does codes like it's nothing, I hope I'll be able to later aswell.See you later

Archived