A Few Little Adjustments

chibineku

As the first step in learning everything necessary to creating a forum, I figured I ought to get the layout right. It's one thing if you make your own layout, because you won't be fussy (if a div is a certain height, that's fine), so I set myself the task of trying to replicate the layout of each page of this here forum. That way, I am forced to get everything pixel perfect and not settle. I really hope that this isn't looked on as plagiarism - I am trying to learn and do not ever plan on completing a forum with this layout, these images, etc. I cannot stress enough that this is a learning experience, and hope that, if anything, my duplication is taken as flattery.Okay, with my disclaimer out of the way, here is what I have currently (it's not much!). I am having a few tiny problems. The pale blue divs under the heading sit about 1px in from being aligned with the header (and the lower down forum div, which has the same styles more or less). I'm also getting gaps between my table headings despite no table related item in the CSS having a margin. I've tried explicitly declaring margin: 0;, but that doesn't help. What's more, the gap at the right hand side of the table headings is even bigger. The width is set to 100% - I can't see the problem. I would appreciate any critique of the CSS and html thus far, covering any problems/topics not currently raised.And, returning to my disclaimer, if it is really not taken well that I am imitating the forum, I will cease and take it down - I don't want to jeopardise my membership here.

To remove the gaps on the table, use the CSS border-collapse property:
table { border-collapse: collapse; }

Hmm, about making a forum. The layout is actually not very important, because in a good forum engine, people can change the HTML using templates.You have to concentrate on structuring the information in the databases and organizing the pages.

Nice work at the duplicate thing.Now, can you do that with Div's and CSS??? :)
Well, that's what I did do it with...Ingolme: Do you mean that the product produced by Invision Power Board uses templates to create the look, or that any one using this forum can change the layout? I see many advantages to creating a complete user-end package that someone can adjust to fit their own style, but that isn't what I'm after just now. Plus this is the nice easy bit before I try to add functionality to all of the different elements. Perhaps I'm procrastinating because I know how much work that bit is going to be...

Archived