Java Vs. Flash/actionscript

shadowayex

I'm working on a small web browser game to help me learn server-side networking a bit more, as well as get some experience with web-based animating and whatnot. But I'm not sure what I should use.I have experience with PHP and JavaScript based web programming. In fact, I built a text based online battle system that uses PHP and JavaScript. I also have skills in XHTML and CSS. I can also do a little C++ programming.Given that information, which would be better, Java or Flash/Actionscript. I don't know what costs (if any) there are to using either, but I want to spend as little money as possible using the stuff. If I have references, learning either probably will not be overly complicated. I enjoy learning programming and I spend a lot of time doing so. I prefer coding over visual editing, although I'll live if I have to do visual editing.With all of that, which would be better, working with Java or Flash/Actionscript?

I don't have much experience in neither Java or Flash. But i think u should go for Java if an OOP language suits u best. If not choose Flash. I would go for Java but that's something personal, because i just can't work with Flash it confuses me alot.

Java is very easy to use, but it can lag badly and be more error-prone. If you want a higher quality game, go with Flash, but it's quite complicated (usually). It can be hard to learn, since one of the only good ways to learn it is by taking classes.

I actually find Flash easier to use.Java applets are much slower loading, they're the kind of interactive applications that people used before Flash came around.Developing for Java is free, just take a text editor and start programming, then download the development kit from Sun Microsystems' page to compile them into .class files which can be embedded in websites.To develop for Flash you have to buy Adobe Flash, which is very expensive. Flash allows you to place elements on the stage and do anything with them using Actionscript.

Java as an interactive web technology is getting old... Flash is much more common nowadays, as it is faster and less complicated to get started with. AS is OO.

Also, I'm willing to bet that more people have a Flash plugin installed on their browsers than they do the Java runtime environment. More people would be able to see your work if you did it in Flash.

Archived