W3schools Joint Projects

bartoszwozniak

I had an idea of having (maybe twice or once a year) a HUUUUGE, joint project at W3Schools. I mean so that everyone had a part in it to do. So that there would be things for the very beginners and challenges for the pros. Maybe making a huge, complicated website??This would be supervised by the administrators and moderators of this forum. They would assign each member a small piece to do within a deadline, and then collect it and place it on a free server. Then the administrator (or one of the moderators, whoever will be the Project Manager) will put all of these parts together and create a HUGe project. Maybe give some people jobs to make forms, polls, etc. Then others could write a css layout, others could do a database in MySQL. Someone could make an admin panel in ASP and JS etc etc etc. THERE ARE MANY IDEAS AND POSSIBILITIES!I think that this would be a great idea, and I would appreciate any feedback on this matter.Thanks

Ouch the last attempt didn't go too well... what happened? It seems to have just died suddenly.

I think it's a great idea. But if it could be accomplished is a whole other question. If something like this is setup i would certainly be willing to join. But what kind of website do u have in mind?

They didn't seem to come up with a specific idea for the project. It's like when I was a kid: "Let's make a project" and then we couldn't think of what project to make.I'd have fun working on a project if I had any ideas that I liked.

Does it have to be w3schools related?

Ouch the last attempt didn't go too well... what happened? It seems to have just died suddenly.
Personally I was never really involved in it. It was Choco's project from the get-go, his idea...I'm not sure when or why it died, because I didn't participate and follow the discussions much.

It seems to have just died suddenly.
Yeah, that's pretty much what happened. I think we had decided on making a forum, and even had all the teams and everything set up, but it was just really difficult to try and get people all over the world all moving in the same direction. I personally had several projects come in around the time that was getting started so I had to leave to work on the stuff I was getting paid for.

Well if we organised everyone, I have an idea of a project to make. We could make an imitation of an operating software (like windows or linux) but on a website. I mean so that the website behaved like an operating system and had lots of small applications, games etc. Like minesweeper, calculator, music player etc. etc.

I'm not really in to such an idea. This will be a very time consuming And really what is the point in making such a website? U should come up with some more ideas.

This doesn't have to be a W3S project only. If you have an idea of what you want to build then organize and setup an open source project at sourceforge or gtihub and then let us know here to see who wants to help out. If you don't get enough support you can cancel the project or look elsewhere for contributors.

I have an idea, but it is rather complicated. Lets make an complete (pseudo) 3d Website. Like the wall are rendered with text and stuff maybe even an input box. It is not something that will be completed in a week, but it will be interesting to see how it goes.

I have another idea making an easy implementable JavaScript (AJAX) chatbox. It has to be super easy to implement something like this:

<script src='chatbox.js' type='text/javascript'></script><div id="chatboxContainer"></div>

Something like this with some of these features:

• Admins. (chatbox moderators with the option to Mute or Ban)
  • Personal Messages.
  • Easy to use Interface.
  • Editable colour scheme.

Like this idea the best.

I really like the chatbox idea. Maybe make it like an online, community chatbox. With like 10 different chat rooms and chat rooms with different topics! This sounds great!!. Vytas, why dont you PM me and we could talk about it and then together we could get some people and get the project rolling!

I'm still willing to cooperate on this project but if only 2 people are willing to help. I won't bother. If we get like 4 to 5 people to join in on this then we could start developping.

Well, it's a simple project. I could do it in a few days if I worked on it, but I'm busy with my own things to get done.I don't work well in groups, because with the time it takes to get responses from other people and organize who makes what, I can get it done on my own. Don't forget to put a lot of comments in your code and indent it well, otherwise you'll have it very difficult working with other people.

Archived