Help With Hidden Text Showing On Click.

mehashi

Hey guys! I have learnt much from this forum and thought it was about time to join! Please be kind to me I am new to coding!I would like to display several key points on a page, when the point is clicked on it shows a relevant chunk of text underneath. The reader can then either close it by clicking again or move on to next subject.eg this:UpDownLeft...could be viewed like this when clicked on "up":Up up is a direction.... bla bla blaDownLeft...I am sorry if that is awkward to understand, I have seen this used on sites before, but I do not know what the feature is called to be able to learn it! Any help would be greatly appreciated! I know how to write the data, just need to know how to hide it unless clicked, or display upon click, either way! Thank you guys!^_^b

It looks like the best element for the task would be a definition list. In the code I'm giving you, I'm using the class attribute to reference the correct element within the list. I like to append events with Javascript rather than using HTML attributes. I have a script right below the list so that it hides the elements as soon as they load, as opposed to after the whole page has loaded.This would go in the body:

<dl id="directions">  <dt class="up"><a href="java script:return false;">Up</a></dt>  <dd class="up">Up is a vector with origin in the center of the Earth.</dd>  <dt class="down"><a href="java script:return false;">Down</a></dt>  <dd class="down">Down is a vector with an origin in any point of space and a direction towards the center of the Earth.</dd>  <dt><a href="java script:return false;">Left</a></dt>  <dd class="left">In standard cartesian coorinates, left is a vector with an origin on zero and a sense towards negative numbers along the X axis.</dd>  <dt><a href="java script:return false;">Right</a></dt>  <dd class="left">In standard cartesian coorinates, right is a vector with an origin on zero and a sense towards positive numbers along the X axis.</dd></dl><script type="text/javascript">  // Hide the elements with Javascript so that they're visible when Javascript is disabled  var directions = document.getElementById("directions");  for(var i=0;i<directions.getElementsByTagName("dd").length;i++) {	directions.getElementsByTagName("dd")[i].style.display = "none";  }</script>

This would go in the <head>:

// This is the function that handles the visibility togglingfunction toggle(e) {  // Detect the event object  e = e?e:window.event;  // Detect the element that called the event  var link = e.srcElement?e.srcElement:e.target;  // Get the <dd> element we're referring to  dir = link.parentNode.className;  var x = directions.document.getElementsByTagName("dd");  var j = 0;  var node = x[0]; // Give the node a default value in case the loop somehow doesn't find an element  while (j < x.length) {	if(x[j].className == dir) {	  node = x[j];	}  }  // Change the style of the selected node  node.style.display = (node.style.display == "block")?"none":"block";}// Add events to the linkswindow.onload = function() {  var links = directions.getElementsByTagName("a");  for(i = 0; i < links.length;i++) {	links.onclick = toggle;  }}

Wow thank you Ingolme-san! I must admit as it is not basic html it looks a little intimidating to me but I am not afraid to get stuck in and give it a go! I will try this code out tonight and see how it goes, I am fairly sure my host allows java-scripting on pages. Thank you very much for such a helpful reply and clear to understand too! ^_^Lol and very relevant example context to mine! ^_^b

Since Javascript is a client-side technology, it doesn't matter where you host it. Javascript working or not depends on the browser that's being used to view the site.

Ok I am going to do a little reading up on javascript tonight as I don't know how to find the problem, but I am getting 404's when I try to click on the text >.< Thank you anyway for giving me a starting point! I will continue my research and see what I can do! ^_^

Thank you very much, that will be the first thing I try! Thanks again! ^_^

Sorry I was poking around see I can find some thing interesting. I tried your code Ingolme, but its not doing anything. So when you click on it, its suppose to move in the direction of it class. Its been awhile seend I did something with coding, so am I forgetting something I needed?

<html><head><title>test</title><script type="text/javascript">// This is the function that handles the visibility togglingfunction toggle(e) {  // Detect the event object  e = e?e:window.event;  // Detect the element that called the event  var link = e.srcElement?e.srcElement:e.target;  // Get the <dd> element we're referring to  dir = link.parentNode.className;  var x = directions.document.getElementsByTagName("dd");  var j = 0;  var node = x[0]; // Give the node a default value in case the loop somehow doesn't find an element  while (j < x.length) {	if(x[j].className == dir) {	  node = x[j];	}  }  // Change the style of the selected node  node.style.display = (node.style.display == "block")?"none":"block";}// Add events to the linkswindow.onload = function() {  var links = directions.getElementsByTagName("a");  for(i = 0; i < links.length;i++) {	links.onclick = toggle;  }}</script></head><body><dl id="directions">  <dt class="up"><a href="java script:return false;">Up</a></dt>  <dd class="up">Up is a vector with origin in the center of the Earth.</dd>  <dt class="down"><a href="java script:return false;">Down</a></dt>  <dd class="down">Down is a vector with an origin in any point of space and a direction towards the center of the Earth.</dd>  <dt><a href="java script:return false;">Left</a></dt>  <dd class="left">In standard cartesian coorinates, left is a vector with an origin on zero and a sense towards negative numbers along the X axis.</dd>  <dt><a href="java script:return false;">Right</a></dt>  <dd class="left">In standard cartesian coorinates, right is a vector with an origin on zero and a sense towards positive numbers along the X axis.</dd></dl><script type="text/javascript">  // Hide the elements with Javascript so that they're visible when Javascript is disabled  var directions = document.getElementById("directions");  for(var i=0;i<directions.getElementsByTagName("dd").length;i++) {	directions.getElementsByTagName("dd")[i].style.display = "none";  }</script></body></html>

Edited by jdog1089

Sorry I was poking around see I can find some thing interesting. I tried your code Ingolme, but its not doing anything. So when you click on it, its suppose to move in the direction of it class. Its been awhile seend I did something with coding, so am I forgetting something I needed?
No, all the script is supposed to do is to display or hide some text when you click on a link

No need for javascript, which a user can turn off.CSS can do this just fine.Create an anchor tag with a span inside of it, and toggle the visibility based on the active or focus pseudo-state.

<a href="#"><em>CLICK</em> here to make the middle column the longest<span><br />this is the middle column<br />this is the middle column<br />this is the middle column<br />this is the middle column<br />this is the middle column<br />this is the middle column<br />this is the middle column<br /></span></a>#container a span {display:none;}#container a:active, #container a:focus {color:#fff; text-decoration:none; background:transparent; cursor:default;}#container a:active span, #container a:focus span {display:inline; left:0;}

IE might need display: inline-block to perform properly.

No, all the script is supposed to do is to display or hide some text when you click on a link
Yea I knew that, but it wasn't working. Is there something I did wrong to make it not work?

Yea I knew that, but it wasn't working. Is there something I did wrong to make it not work?
The forum automatically places a space between "java" and "script:" in javascript:. If you haven't removed the space in the links then it won't work.

Hey guys! ^_^Thank you for the help Ingolme I would have never known where to start if it wasnt for your pointers. I am sorry to say that I also had some issues with this code, even after reading up on javascript and trying out a few solutions I was still baffled! Sorry I do not know javascript really!In the end I found a suitable working code on these forums. I just didnt know what to look for before. It is in the "SHOW/HIDE SCRIPT" section of this page (javascript >> code snippets).This works perfectly for me, hopefully for anyone else too! Thanks again for your pointers in the right direction!^_^b