Portland Hot Spots

Jonathan Harvey

Hi, I'm new to web development/design and I'm VERY novice. As a startup project I have created a basic homepage to a directory of businesses in portland Oregon. <a href="http:/www.portlandhotspots.noadsfree.com"> Portland Hot Spots </a>.I'm hoping I will be able to get some constructive feedback on both DESIGN and CODING of my website. Thanks!

Edited by Jonathan harvey

The image carousel is nice, did you do that or borrow it from somewhere? There is a weird straight petal in the rose background image that gives the unintentional impression of straight lines up and down the edge of the page. It might be worth a brief photoshop to make less obvious. Must be the only straight edged rose in photographic history.. The page is a little wide...browsers don't always open at max size, so perhaps some elasticity would be nice, or a narrower design: rather than set the widths in pxs, set them in %, so that the page renders nicely when the window isn't maxed. Set some kind of reasonable min-width though: there are limits to how small you can expect your page to be reduced to for real browsing. Overall, it's not a bad start, but everything is a bit big and brash. I'm no master of design, though, so I can't offer any helpful advice on how to make it a little sleeker.

The image carousel is nice, did you do that or borrow it from somewhere? There is a weird straight petal in the rose background image that gives the unintentional impression of straight lines up and down the edge of the page. It might be worth a brief photoshop to make less obvious. Must be the only straight edged rose in photographic history.. The page is a little wide...browsers don't always open at max size, so perhaps some elasticity would be nice, or a narrower design: rather than set the widths in pxs, set them in %, so that the page renders nicely when the window isn't maxed. Set some kind of reasonable min-width though: there are limits to how small you can expect your page to be reduced to for real browsing. Overall, it's not a bad start, but everything is a bit big and brash. I'm no master of design, though, so I can't offer any helpful advice on how to make it a little sleeker.
Thanks! like I said, this is my first site, and I'm basically doing it for practice. so setting widths in % instead of px should render the page better depending on browsers? or user settings? Thanks again.

Thanks! like I said, this is my first site, and I'm basically doing it for practice. so setting widths in % instead of px should render the page better depending on browsers? or user settings? Thanks again.
Yeah...changing widths to % means that if I resize my window, your page resizes with it, keeping things in proportion and everything visible. Like I said, it's worth adding a min-width property to at least the main content column so that if someone keeps shrinking your page the most important bit is the last to get lost.