Does Anyone Understand Any Of This?

chibineku

My cousin is a programmer and has been since he got a Spectrum ZX in some previous millenium and has a degree in computer science/software engineering. He recently moved to web services and the creation of webapps, and he posts erratically in a blog about what he's been doing, problems he's having, etc. I read it in absolute bewilderment, barely a word of it making any sense. Does it make any sense? I mean, is this something you just have to be doing for 10 years before it clicks or what? It's Swahili to me. I know this isn't really the sort of thread this place is meant for, but I just wanted a guage of how dumb I am vs. how smart he/you guys is/are.

Part of it is that he's using the jQuery library, so there are functions you don't recognize. The $ function is a giveaway. Other folks use it, but it's central to jQuery.I also notice extensive use of the prototype property of objects. This is a property of native objects and objects you create. It just lets you add properties and methods to the master "class" of JavaScript objects.There's more going on, but it seems unique to the app in question.

Archived