Have A Look At My Site

Lefteris

Hello all,I am no web developer, but I wanted to make a site with what little I know, in where I can post things about my software/electronics projects, past present and future, some tutorials, a CV, a blog e.t.c. In the future if any application turns commercial I would consider going for a more professional look but for now this will do. I am a programmer interested in AI.What I would like from anyone who is willing, is comments and advice. This is the first site that I actually upload somewhere and not keep stuffed in my computer. Any advice on how to improve it or things that would need changing will be appreciated. The site's adress is : Click me for linkEDIT: As I said abovem I am not a web-designer and I know that the design and graphics part is what I am mainly lacking. I would like to make up for that and that's why I made the topic, so I can get design-oriented advice. Using that advice I hope to gradually improve the site's design .Thank you for your time.-Lefteris

On IE, the main body sits underneath the left menu, which suggests it needs float:right added to its CSS definition. Also, I don't know how the background image is supposed to work...I've got it bordering the main section, but not evenly...there's some left of it and some above it, but then a disproportionate amount to the right. Instead of using JS to determine the width of the screen and loading a different CSS file dependent on it, wouldn't it be easier just to make an elastic design? There isn't anything that couldn't be positioned proportionately.On the plus side, your menu is really nice. I find it enjoyable just clicking around in it. It would be nice if it stayed open indicating the current page, where applicable (i.e. where the link isn't one to an external source). It would be worth finding a blog site that lets you splice their blogging app into your own website (I can give you the name of one or two when I locate my CSS book...), so there's a more cohesive feeling about the site.One last thing: I have my default background colour set to lurid green, to make it obvious if I forget to assign a background colour to something, and the image you have as your backdrop is filled in with green. I can't tell if you happen to have picked that as a background or if you're trusting inheritance, but it would be worth explicitly setting the background of all elements ( * { }) to the blue of the rest of the site to cover all bases.

Thank you very much for taking the time to review the site and make comments.I think I corrected that thing with the Internet exporer or it just does not do it in my version ( 8.0.6001 ).The background image is just repeating itself in the x and y axis. I tried to make a repeatable image of a graph of neurons (a neural network). It could need more work to make it seem better when it gets repeated.About that elastic design, it is one of the main reasons I made this post! You see I have not found a way to make font-size elastic. I tried to use % for font-size but it did not work. Currently I am using em to set font size. And if you check the different resolutions CSS you will notice that the ONLY thing changing is font-size. So the question here is simple ... is there any way to make the font-size elastic?For the blog I just experimented with the wordpess platform. To tell you the truth I have not yet found the time to make it have the look and feel of the rest of the site, but from what I saw I can even mess with css and add my own images, so I guess that I can make it look like the rest of the site easily.For your last comment I have to admit that I did not understand it 100%. My background is a repeating .png which .... oh wait. .png. Yep it is transparent. So it gets put above the white(Default) background. Maybe I should set it like you said just to be safe.

I wouldn't worry about making font size elastic. Those with enormous screens know they have enormous screens and will accept that writing might look tiny. You could make a style sheet for mobile devices, if you're worried about font being too big. Anyone viewing on, say, a Blackberry would probably load the mobile style sheet and you could set things like the font smaller for those visitors. You can set your header image height and width in % to make it scale and look appropriate. In fact, by setting your font in em, people with different defaults for mobile and large screens will see your font in proportion to their defaults, which will effectively make them elastic.Edit: the IE thing seems fine now for me too.

Hello! ^_^I really like the menu on the left hand side! I must agree it is enjoyable to use. I am using firefox 3 and can report no problems with the styling, and the background image looks fine on repeat for me!The only negative thing I could point to is the sudden unexpected change in style when navigating to your blog. Also once at your blog it is easy to miss the link back to the site again! Maybe you can add a button further up the page or even better next to the 'about' tab at the top of the blog? Apart from those small things everything seems pretty ok!Overall I am very impressed with this if it is your first real site! Keep adding more content and tutorials and you will be building on a good thing! Good luck with the site and your future projects! ^_^b

Thank you very much for your advice and for your positive comments.As far as the font-size is concerned both menus grow proportionally to the font size. That is why I wanted to be able to adjust the font-size. Not to mention that my screen is wide, and originally I developed it to look fine in my screen only. Imagine my surprise when I opened the site in an old CRT :).Thanks for the font advice I will see if there is any way to make it even more elastic. I have opened the site from an Omnia phone with opera mobile and from an iPhone and it looked really good. I was surprised since I did not do anything special for mobile phones.As for the blog ... well even now I am trying out different things. I conclude that it is nice using already existing templates and blogging software like wordpress, but it is a pain looking through their css code to figure out how they do things, so you can edit them. I guess it is the same dillema as in software programming , using 3rd party libraries or making your own. :)

• 2 weeks later...

The menu cascading down goes way too fast, almost not even worth having it. I don't like the design, looks kinda thrown together aimlessly. The only thing I like is the horizontal menu at the top. Works great.

Thank you for your input. Unfortunately I am not a designer, I am a computer engineer and that's why I made this post. To get design-specific advice.Would you have any specific points to improve on the design? Apart from chaging it and starting all over again, I am always open to advice about making it better. Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Archived