Online Advertising

kaz

Hi guys,I 'm embarking on an ambitious project where I I want to design websites about all web technologies ranging from html to PHP. This is meant to be a life-time project in that I'm doing this in mind; First, to disseminate information, and also to make some money off companies who advertise on my websites. However, I have a question. I know Google and some other search engines have affiliate programs dealing with what I'm talking about. How good are they? I'd like you guys to give me your opnion on this before I join one of these programs.thanxkaz

• 4 weeks later...

It all depends on your site and its visitors. ALso, with Adsense, I believe that it matters how many clicks you get compared to the number of impressions. 10 clicks and 100000000 impressions makes, lets say, $1. Whereas 5 clicks with 6 impressions will make more. I THINK. What im planning to do is sell advertising space to similar companies. For example (a very far-fetched one) say I was Microsoft. I make a site that heaps of people visit, and then sell ad space on it to another computing company. It will sell high since they'd get plenty of visitors.As I said on another forum, be creative :)Also, nice project you have in mind, I wish you the best of luck.

Thanx. I have another question. My website is going to be on Geocities, whose ads will also be on my website since they're offering me free hosting space. Now since Google are also going to put their ads on my website, won't that create problems? Also how do you sell advertising space to companies?kaz

It all depends on your site and its visitors. ALso, with Adsense, I believe that it matters how many clicks you get compared to the number of impressions. 10 clicks and 100000000 impressions makes, lets say, $1. Whereas 5 clicks with 6 impressions will make more. I THINK. What im planning to do is sell advertising space to similar companies. For example (a very far-fetched one) say I was Microsoft. I make a site that heaps of people visit, and then sell ad space on it to another computing company. It will sell high since they'd get plenty of visitors.As I said on another forum, be creative :)Also, nice project you have in mind, I wish you the best of luck.

• 3 months later...

If you want to make your site look like something, you should forget about GeoCities. There are hosts which give better offers and don't have ads or if they do, they are much more conviniently placed then in GeoCities.No. Adding another ad won't create problems with the site itself. It will however cause problems with the downloading speed and the "space" you have on the page. If you use GeoCities, it's most certain that you'll eventually get too "Advertisy" which increases the annoyance factor, which means less traffic, which means less profit.In short: the way you have it planed currectly will backfire.

Geocities = Yahoo, Adsens = Google. I'm not sure it's really right to have those two adverts on the same site, anyway.But if you are planning for a web site that will get a lot of traffic, Geocities may disagree. There is a daily bandwidth limit on all Geocities web sites, meaning that after about 15 people view your site, you're done until that 24 hour period is over with.There are tons of books available about online marketing. A good blog I follow is www.askdavetaylor.com and his other (more businessy) one at http://www.intuitive.com/ , try those for starters