Having A Problem With Finding The Correct Sql Syntax.

Yvil

Here I am again, with another problem.I can't figure out what syntax I should use to insert my stuff to my MySQL database.I have database version: MySQL v5This is the error I'm getting:

Error: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ''Update, Current') VALUES ('inserted1','inserted2' at line 1*
* the text after 'VALUES' is what I tried to insert into my database.* The underlined part is what is in my PHP.And this is my PHP code now:
<?php$con = mysql_connect("localhost", "name", "pass");if (!$con)  {  die('Could not connect: ' . mysql_error());  }mysql_select_db("dbname", $con);$sql = "INSERT INTO updates ('Update, Current')	VALUES ('$_POST[update]','$_POST[current]')";if (!mysql_query($sql,$con))  {  die('Error: ' . mysql_error());  }echo "updates updated!";mysql_close($con)?>

Does anyone know the correct syntax?If so, please tell me :).Thanks,Yvil

same error?
Yes, unfortunately.If you think (this is what I do, but I'm unsure) it is because of my MySQL version, please say so so I can ask my hosting website to update the available MySQL versions.

• 1 month later...
Update is a reserved word. If you want to use a reserved word as a table or column name you need to surround it with `backquotes`.
Tried changing that, but it still doesn't work. I just can't insert stuff into a database. If someone could please write me a working script I would be very gratefull!(sorry for late reply, but I have the same problem again, this time with something I do want to be done trough PHP)

Guest FirefoxRocks

First of all, you shouldn't insert POSTDATA directly into a database for security reasons, so this is a safer script here and hope it works:

<?php$con = mysql_connect("localhost", "name", "pass");if (!$con){	die('Could not connect: ' . mysql_error());}mysql_select_db("dbname", $con);(string)$update = mysql_real_escape_string($_POST["update"]);(string)$current = mysql_real_escape_string($_POST["current"]);(string)$sql = "INSERT INTO `updates` ('Update', 'Current') VALUES ('$update','$current');";if (!mysql_query($sql,$con)) {   die('Error: ' . mysql_error());}echo "updates updated!";mysql_close($con);?>

EDIT:I caught the error.What you have:

INSERT INTO `updates` ('Update, Current') VALUES ('$_POST[update]','$_POST[current]')

What I (basically) have:

INSERT INTO `updates` ('Update', 'Current') VALUES ('$_POST[update]','$_POST[current]')

See the difference? Unless you have a column/field called "Update, Current", there's only 1 field to insert stuff into yet you are telling MySQL to insert 2 field values.

Will try it tomorrow, going to bed now!Even if it doesn't work, thanks a load (I think it is what was wrong, since I tried to insert 2 values into 1 field according to the script).But could you explain how that thing makes it safer?

Guest FirefoxRocks

I'm not the expert of SQL injection, but perhaps these articles might help:http://www.tizag.com/mysqlTutorial/mysql-p...l-injection.phphttp://www.php.net/manual/en/security.data...l-injection.php (this one is a bit advanced)http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/PHP_Programming/SQL_InjectionBasically, it comes down to not trusting what users input until you are sure it is safe.I guess I could show a simple example:

SELECT * FROM users WHERE `username`='{$_POST["name"]}'

Now what if the user requested a username called Yvil'; DELETE FROM users WHERE 'id'>'0?This would make the statement:

SELECT * FROM users WHERE `username`='Yvil'; DELETE FROM users WHERE 'id'>'0'

Instead of just selecting the user where the name is "Yvil", it would also delete all the rows that have an ID greater than 0 (usually all rows).To protect against this, PHP has mysql_real_escape_string(). So the query would be:

SELECT * FROM users WHERE `username`='Yvil\'; DELETE FROM users WHERE \'id\'>\'0'

Maybe you can't see the difference with the syntax highlighting, but basically it would look for a username that was Yvil'; DELETE FROM users WHERE 'id'>'0, which probably doesn't exist.

Archived