Conversion From Mssql To Mysql, And Is The Backup File Broken?

real_illusions

Hi all,Having trouble converting a .mssqlbak file given to me to work in mysql, with no luck. Cant find any free programs that can convert a backup file as i dont have access to a ms sql server.Have tried installing microsoft sql server management studio express, but it cant connect to my local machine, nor can it read the mssqlbak file saying the editor isnt installed.Opening the mssqlbak file in notepad++ and theres a whole load of 'NULL' written in white text with a black background. That cant be right surely?Any ideas on how to convert this file?

Still nothing.Installed SQL Server from MS, and running the sql server management, it now connects to the computer. But restoring the file results in an error. It cant find an .MDF file in a folder that doesnt exist....I hate MS...why are things so difficult to do with their products and stuff... :)

It shouldn't be looking for an MDF, an MDF is a live database, not a backup.If you have Enterprise Manager, right-click on the Databases node for your server, go to All Tasks, then Restore Database. In the Restore box, give it a name to restore the database as. For the radio button, choose "From device". In the device list, click Select Devices. In the box that pops up, make sure the "Disk" option is selected and click Add. In the File name box, click the button to browse and browse to your backup file. Click OK a few times and follow the prompts.

I dont have enterprise manager. Only these server management studio express.The restore a database works in a similiar way to how you described, but thats where it tries to find the .mdf file or comes up with other errors when restoring files and filegroups.Found a way round by creating some blank .mdf and .log files, and it seems to have restored the database.Now to export it to something that I can use in MySQL...if possible...

Archived