Mobile Web Site

roundcorners

Hi all, I'm interested in developing a website for a mobile, iPhone, Google Phone, etc. Does anyone have any advice regarding technical limitations, browser market share or anything else they can think of?Is it worth using xhtml-mp or perfectly suitable to use xhtml?I am a real newbie when it comes to the web on mobiles, I barely even use my phone for the internet, so anything info would be great. Thanks in advance

Here is one tip: NEVER redirect to a mobile site without the user's permission. It will tick the user off because they might want to see your full site. Include this little bit of code and you will be all right.

<script type="application/javascript"><!--if((navigator.userAgent.match(/iPhone/i)) || (navigator.userAgent.match(/iPod/i))) {var answer = confirm("Would you like to be redirected to the iPhone version of YOUR SITE NAME?") if (answer){  location.href='THE MOBILE SITE ADDRESS HERE'; } else{  alert("Hope you enjoy the site!") }}--></script>

Chris Coyier did a screencast that you could take a look at: Screencast 38. I have used that a lot in designing for the iPhone!

I think it's actually more user-friendly to attempt to automatically detect and load the mobile content, but provide a way to view the full site from there. The mobile device might not have Javascript, for example.

Archived