Conflicts Between Css Files, Ie And Everybody Else

Elemental

Hey Folks, I've been at this for a full day, and I mean a full day almost 24 hours straight; yeah I'm a bit obsessive at timesI have the following beginning on my HTML page:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN""http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"><html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en"><head><title>Shadowland Foundation, Inc. - Playing with Wolves</title><meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" /><meta name="Description" content="" /><meta name="Keyword" content="" /><meta name="robots" content="all" /><meta name="distribution" content="global" /><link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico" /><link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="css/my_Styles.css" media="screen" /><!--[if lte IE 7]><link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="css/ie_Styles.css" media="screen" /><![endif]-->....

then in a folder named css I have the two files ( my_Styles.css and ie_Styles.css ), here's my question: does it matter where I place the IE conditional css call / link?All four browsers display it differently, IE everything is to the right, Safari and FF is to the bottom, and Opera gets it right; really weird. I started using FF instead of IE I then created a separate css file for IE once I was sure the other three Safari, Opera and FF were working fine, when I finished with that I went to check it all again and pow, all ###### broke loose.So am I doing it wrong, based on the code I'm showing you above?Peace,Elemental

Generally speaking I'd say avoid using separate CSS for different browsers completely.Things that can make this easier:
  • Use a strict doc-type.
  • Use standard HTML and CSS.

Sckewi, Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.So by using a strict DOCTYPE versus a transitional one I can avoid most of the incompatibilities between browsers? That’s interesting, didn't know that; so much stuff to learn and to keep up with ....When you say to “use standard HTML and CSS” do you mean compliant and or relative to the DOCTYPE?Peace,Elemental

>When you say to “use standard HTML and CSS” do you mean compliant and or relative to the DOCTYPE?Compliant - though doctype you choose can effect the way that the browser causes CSS to work. Like you say however, a strict doctype will reduce incompatibilities. Admittedly though switching to a strict doctype isn't a magic fix, but it can usually help.>everything is to the right, Safari and FF is to the bottom, and Opera gets it rightFrom what you've posted, it sounds like a float/clearer issue. If you have clearer divs something like this:HTML:<div class="clearer"></div>CSS.clearer{ clear:both;}Try adding height: 0; to the clearer's style:CSS:.clearer{ clear: both; height: 0;}

>When you say to “use standard HTML and CSS” do you mean compliant and or relative to the DOCTYPE?Compliant - though doctype you choose can effect the way that the browser causes CSS to work. Like you say however, a strict doctype will reduce incompatibilities. Admittedly though switching to a strict doctype isn't a magic fix, but it can usually help.>everything is to the right, Safari and FF is to the bottom, and Opera gets it rightFrom what you've posted, it sounds like a float/clearer issue. If you have clearer divs something like this:HTML:<div class="clearer"></div>CSS.clearer{ clear:both;}Try adding height: 0; to the clearer's style:CSS:.clearer{ clear: both; height: 0;}
Sckewi, Thanks again, that was helpfull; clear did the trick.Peace,Elemental

Archived