Help Beginning - Where Should I Start/proceed?

Guest lindzi

Guest lindzi

W3Schools forum members, My name is Peter, who is a visually impaired (speech-synthesized)beginning user to this free tutorial website. I've been having problemswith learning html and css for a while now. For example, the inlineframe doesn't appear to work with I.E 7 as stated on the lesson thatattributes the<iframe src="default.asp"></iframe><br /><br>note: doesn't validate with http://www.w3.org because the tidy willchange it to the latter not the former despite the warnings that it<br> will become deprecated in future editions with htm.Also, the other thing that I am having problems wrapping my headaround is why does w3Schools use an unsafe mailto link on the html pagewithout at least warning you that it's not safe? Plus, the symbol forall lines to be removed out of the one out of ten chance doesn't clearwith w3.org either. I almost went to learn from somewhere else becausethere are so many things that appear to be going wrong. By the way, Iuse a text editor, so it's not that problem interfering with themarkups either. Also I have a few questions about the learning process involved in whatorder and at what speed. I started off learning html, then xhtml ontocss. Is that the way that most of you have done it from the beginning?When should you decide to validate? Plus, the Meta tag for describingyour site doesn't clear with w3 validation either as far as I cantell. My site is now safely validated css and html other than a fewother errors that I will clean up soon enough. My site ishttp://www.darkstruggle.com. My host is dreamhost.com found athttp://www.dreamhost.com. My os is windows xp professional 2003edition. My speech synthesizer is called Window-Eyes version 6.1 foundat http://www.gwmicro.com. Write me back on here if you can whether pmor just reply to this thread as soon as possible. I will appreciate any tips, hints,strategies, troubleshooting, advice, knowledge, wisdom, etc. thatyou want to share feel free to about this and future endeavors of myjourney of education of computer languages.adios, ciao, sayonara, bon voyage, salaam, msalama,Peter

Well, for starters.... don't use frames. There are many things on W3schools that shows you how to do something, but that does not mean it is the best way. Frames are dated technology that should not be used on a normal site anymore. Secondly do not use the extension .htm again this is an old extension that was used back when computers could only handle 3 letter extensions. use .html instead. Third in regards to <br> vs. <br /> it seems like you are trying to mix html and xhtml. These are two seperate languages. They are extremely similar, but you cannot mix them together and still validate. Some things will validate for html that are incorrect for xhtml and vice versa. Pick one and stick with it. There is a line of code refered to as the doctype. It goes above even the html tag. This line tells the browser if it is html or xhtml etc. If you don't have that, the validator will guess, which is not good if you are mixing languages. Fourth, I would always recommend learning html first followed by CSS and then followed by xhtml. Once you have the basics of html down and combine it with the power of CSS you can do awesome things with a website. After that, learning xhtml is really only a matter of syntax. My tip is don't get discouraged if you can't build a website in a week, it takes time to learn. Also check out other websites. I love W3schools and I use it to start all my research, but there is often more than one way to skin a cat so to speak, and seeing how other sites do something might help you understand what you are doing even better.

Secondly do not use the extension .htm again this is an old extension that was used back when computers could only handle 3 letter extensions. use .html instead. Third in regards to <br> vs. <br /> it seems like you are trying to mix html and xhtml.
Regarding .htm and .html, there are no defined standards, neither is there any improvement in performance or quality with that. In fact, I could serve my HTML pages with my own custom extension (for example index.ingolme) and if I've configured the server to send it as text/html, it doesn't matter. File extensions are not important because the information of the file is in the file headers.About <br />, it's perfectly valid HTML as well as XHTML. A lot of editors use it because it doesn't matter which language you're programming in. <br> isn't ever going to be deprecated, as far as I know, however I recommend not using <br> or <br /> on your pages, because everything that a <br> is done by other elements that have more relevance to the content they contain.

If for some reason you do need an IFrame, see if the object tag will do the trick:

In the rare occasion that you do need an iframe (and believe me, I know some uses for them that can't be substituted by other things), you can use a Transitional DTD and your page will still be valid HTML/XHTML.

Archived