Update Sql Statement Creating Some Errors

real_illusions

Hi all,I'm making a custom built mini-cms system to update some of the content on some web pages. However, I've come across some problems in trying to update the current text. The following is part of the script, and deals with updating the database, and I believe is the part that is causing the error.

$main_header = mysql_escape_string($_POST['header']);$sub_header = mysql_escape_string($_POST['subheader']);$top_content = mysql_escape_string($_POST['FCKeditor1']);$second_header = mysql_escape_string($_POST['secondheader']);$second_content = mysql_escape_string($_POST['FCKeditor2']);$pagename = mysql_escape_string($item);$query = "UPDATE website_pages SET top_content=".$top_content.", top_header=".$main_header.", top_subheader=".$sub_header.", second_header=".$second_header.", second_content=".$second_content." WHERE pagename=".$pagename."";mysql_query($query) or die(mysql_error());

The error is as follows:

You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Aenea' at line 1
There are no ' in the text and theres no obvious reason to me why it should cut it off at that point. I'm using fck editor to edit some of the text, would that affect it in some way?

Eh?I've tried all sorts of combinations of quotes and none in the update query, but they either insert the variable name or come up with that error, in the same place each time.

Ok, I've printed the query out and all looks fine. Any ' that are in there have a \ in front of them, but they dont appear till later on in the text after where it says:

You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Aenea' at line 1
I found another forum post that puts the query how it should be i think, so my query now looks like this -
$query = "UPDATE website_pages SET ('".$top_content."' , '".$main_header."' , '".$sub_header."' , '".$second_header."' , '".$second_content."') WHERE pagename=('".$pagename."')";

But still the error remains.

Result of

$query = "UPDATE website_pages SET ('".$top_content."' , '".$main_header."' , '".$sub_header."' , '".$second_header."' , '".$second_content."') WHERE pagename=('".$pagename."')";print $query;mysql_query($query) or die(mysql_error());

UPDATE derbyshiresport_pages SET ('Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Suspendisse sit amet lectus risus. Etiam in pulvinar augue. Fusce vitae turpis diam. Nunc sed turpis varius ligula vulputate dignissim. Vivamus nisi massa, mattis non aliquam vel, elementum a elit. Phasellus vitae eros at quam consectetur blandit.Nam tristique massa nec lacus facilisis ac fringilla massa volutpat. Proin ut justo ante, convallis imperdiet risus. In hac habitasse platea dictumst. Vestibulum dui purus, sagittis ut eleifend vitae, mattis id lorem. Proin at dolor leo.' , 'About Us' , 'What is This Page?' , 'News' , 'Aenean sit amet velit nisi, eget malesuada urna. Aenean nec mauris urna, vitae adipiscing lorem\r\nVision\r\nauris neque mi, varius sed faucibus quis, suscipit et velit.') WHERE pagename=('about')You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '('Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Suspendisse sit amet lec' at line 1

You were closer in the first SQL statement, this one is missing the column names. I'm not sure what the parens are doing there, you don't need those for UPDATE.

UPDATE derbyshiresport_pages SET top_content='Lorem ipsum dolor ... at dolor leo.' , top_header='About Us' , top_subheader='What is This Page?' WHERE pagename='about'

Archived