With an attribute with values:

td[axis="email"] { ... } td[axis~="email"] { ... } td[axis|="email"] { ... }

With a class or id:

td.home { ... } div#footer { ... }

With a class or id and a pseudo-class:

td.home:hover { ... } a#clsi:visited { ... }

With a class and an attribute with a defined attribute value:

td.home[axis="email"] { ... }

With a class and an attribute with a defined attribute value with a pseudo-class:

???

With a class and an attribute with a defined attribute value with a pseudo-class and a pseudo element:

???

With a class and an attribute with a defined attribute value with a pseudo-class with several pseudo-elements:

???

Can someone fill me in on those ones that I don't know?

The most simple selector:
* { ... }

At the very basic, it's a tag:

td { ...}

With a pseudo-class:

td:hover { ... }

With an attribute:

td[axis] { ... }

With an attribute with values:

td[axis="email"] { ... } td[axis~="email"] { ... } td[axis|="email"] { ... }

With a class or id:

td.home { ... } div#footer { ... }

With a class or id and a pseudo-class:

td.home:hover { ... } a#clsi:visited { ... }

With a class and an attribute with a defined attribute value:

td.home[axis="email"] { ... }

With a class and an attribute with a defined attribute value with a pseudo-class:

???

With a class and an attribute with a defined attribute value with a pseudo-class and a pseudo element:

???

With a class and an attribute with a defined attribute value with a pseudo-class with several pseudo-elements:

???

Can someone fill me in on those ones that I don't know?

I don't know why you'd need them, but well.With a class and an attribute with a defined attribute value with a pseudo-class:
a.box[rel=next]:hover { ... }

a.box[rel=next]:first-line:hover { ... }

With a class and an attribute with a defined attribute value with a pseudo-class with several pseudo-elements:It's not logically possibly to have several pseudo-elements because the pseudo-element doesn't have any other pseudo-elements inside it.Maybe you want several selectors:

a.box[rel=next]:first-line:hover, a.box[rel=next]:first-letter:hover { ... }

Guest FirefoxRocks
With a class and an attribute with a defined attribute value with a pseudo-class with several pseudo-elements:It's not logically possibly to have several pseudo-elements because the pseudo-element doesn't have any other pseudo-elements inside it.Maybe you want several selectors:
a.box[rel=next]:first-line:hover, a.box[rel=next]:first-letter:hover { ... }

Sorry, I meant several pseudo-classes, so would this be right:
input#tac[type="radio"]:last-child:checked { ... }

And of course I can even throw in chained elements, so...:

html>body div#content form fieldset.legal input#tac[type="radio"]:last-child:enabled:checked { ... }

Would the order of those selectors be right? Not that I'm expecting it to work perfect in browsers though :)

It's correct, if I'm not mistaken. But I always like to test situations I haven't tried before confirming things. I believe the child selector and the attribute selector don't work in Internet Explorer 6. I always stick to classes, IDs, element selectors and some pseudo-classes.

Guest FirefoxRocks

I did a super quick test and it worked:SGML-conforming:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"><title// <meta http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html;charset=utf-8"/<style type="text/css">html>body div#content>form>fieldset.legal input#tac[type="text"]:last-child:enabled { background-color: #006; }</style><body/<div id="content"/<form action=""/<fieldset class="legal"/<legend/b/ <input type=radio> Radio<input id=tac type=text> Text///

HTML-conforming:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"><title></title><meta http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html;charset=utf-8"><style type="text/css">html>body div#content>form>fieldset.legal input#tac[type="text"]:last-child:enabled { background-color: #006; }</style><body><div id=content><form action=""><fieldset class=legal><legend>b</legend><input type=radio> Radio<input id=tac type=text> Text</fieldset></form></div>

Both of them are valid HTML and both apply the CSS correctly in supported browsers (Firefox, Opera, Google Chrome).

Archived