Transparency In Ff Vs. Ie

thescientist

for a site I'm designing, in FF everything inside this div is taking on the transparency setting of the div. In IE (7), only the div is transparent and the elements inside it display as normal (which is how I want it). Any thoughts on a workaround for this? If you need my code I can post it.

nope. I just want the white box they're in to be transparent. For some reason in FF, it seems all elements inside that div are inheriting the transparency as well. Although your suggestion seems doable, opacity is not currently a standard, and I don't want to clutter up my stylesheets with extra non-standard markup if I can help it. I'm not sure if that's weird, but I would prefer to keep my pages as close to validating as possible. As of now, the effect is only being used once a page.

One extra line of CSS. Use the universal selector as a descendant selector:this represents the definition you already havediv.trans {opacity: 0.4}simply add this linediv.trans * {opacity: 1.0}Now everything that is inside div.trans is un-opaque.

One extra line of CSS. Use the universal selector as a descendant selector:this represents the definition you already havediv.trans {opacity: 0.4}simply add this linediv.trans * {opacity: 1.0}Now everything that is inside div.trans is un-opaque.
i figured it would be something like that, but it does not work. In all fairness, I have been doing a lot of work recently, considerably in the stylesheet realm, so perhaps that is why your suggestion is not working. I have uploaded the most current versions of my page and style sheets.www.seasonsnh.com/newsite_test

Opacity applies to the element and everything inside it. That's how it works. If you want a semi-transparent background in standard compliant browsers, use a transparent PNG file (1x1 pixels if you just want a color).

Opacity applies to the element and everything inside it. That's how it works. If you want a semi-transparent background in standard compliant browsers, use a transparent PNG file (1x1 pixels if you just want a color).
ok, let me see if I follow you. So if I want just my white box to be transparent, are you saying I should just use a .png file and set it as the div's background and use photoshop to adjust its opacity?

ok, let me see if I follow you. So if I want just my white box to be transparent, are you saying I should just use a .png file and set it as the div's background and use photoshop to adjust its opacity?
Yes

Archived