Anniversary Members Webpage / Website

Elemental

Hey Folks, I was recently asked by a friend, who's planning a 20 year reunion anniversary, what would be the best way to go about doing the following.They want to have a page where each graduate will have their own "member’s page" where they can enter their stats, what's been happening with them, what they've been up to, that kind of thing but where they could also design (within limits) the look of their own page as well. I guess it would be like having a personal "My Space" or "Face Book" site and I suggested they use either or of the above mentioned but they want to start their own.So, what would be the best way to approach this kind of implementation?I would think that there is software already in existence that will do this for them, but I would appreciate any feed back you may have on the subject.Peace,Elemental

how many people is this for? Will it even be used after the anniversary? Could be a lot of work for just a one-off.

how many people is this for? Will it even be used after the anniversary? Could be a lot of work for just a one-off.
thescientist, Thanks for the reply, it's appreciated.Yeah, I hear you. He's going to get back to me with that information, how many, how long... I just thought I would put the feelers out but it looks like that's information required to correctly answer my question vs. you can use a, b, or c.Peace,Elemental

If you don't know much about web design and coding... and you don't plan to take the time to learn it or use it in the future, I would suggest using a free web host that has a wysiwyg editor (what you see is what you get, no coding required) like 000webhost... which will also allow you to code your own stuff if you'd like..if you want to create something where each user interacts with it in the same way they interact with myspace you would use php and mysql (server side scripting code and a database)... which is something that would take awhile to learn

If you don't know much about web design and coding... and you don't plan to take the time to learn it or use it in the future, I would suggest using a free web host that has a wysiwyg editor (what you see is what you get, no coding required) like 000webhost... which will also allow you to code your own stuff if you'd like..if you want to create something where each user interacts with it in the same way they interact with myspace you would use php and mysql (server side scripting code and a database)... which is something that would take awhile to learn
smerny, Regardless of whether I intend to learn or not, which I have been for some time now, this site's really cool, thanks for the link.The truth is, no surprise I'm sure, I don't think I currently possess the required knowledge to properly create what they want. I was, as I mentioned, putting feelers out to see what was required for such a feat.Peace,Elemental

depending on how fancy they want it set up, you could create the main site and have links to their individual profile pages like myspace or whatever

depending on how fancy they want it set up, you could create the main site and have links to their individual profile pages like myspace or whatever
jlhaslip, smerny, Thanks you both for the reply, much appreciated.jlhaslip:I'll look into it, sounds like something that could work for them; I don't know what his / their budget is.smerny:Yeah, I don't know anything other than that they're looking for something like a "My Space" or "Face Book" application / interface site, I do know based on what he mentioned to me that they're looking to have their own thing and not connected to either of the above mentioned sites.It sounds like I jumped the gun in putting the feelers out.Peace,Elemental

well, if you know anything about html/programming, you could probably figure out enough php/mysql to create a page that pulls information from the database for each person...basically there would be one page for profiles that would work for everyones profile... can do this by having a page named profile.php and access the member they are wanting to look at by using the URL "www.yoursite.com/profile.php?id=1" where 1 is the unique ID of a member... then pull the information from the database and display it to your page using php/mysql... in that case, php could pull the member ID using $_GET['id'] which would equal 1 in that case.... then you would use code that basically tells the page to show information from the database on the row where the value in the User_ID field is equal to $_GET['id']...if any of that makes sense to you, i think with the help of members on this forum, you could learn enough php/mysql within a couple weeks to put something like this together

You could also use a CMS. It would require a server though, and one with a cms that was pre loaded.

pizzaguy, smerny, Randi, Thank you all for the reply, it's appreciated.pizzaguy:That could be an option for them but not one I would take on myself, if that's what they're looking for someone to manage the site ones it's up and running, but I'll file that away for them, thanks.smerny:That sounds more like the way I thought it should be, php/mysql, but for now, at present, that knowledge is a bit beyond me but it's on the list of things to learn or at the very least get a deeper understanding of them; again, I'll add that to their list of possibilities and to mine, thanks.Randi:That, CMS, was something that came up in the initial talk. I know of a couple of sites that use JOOMLA and that's also something I'm personally looking into or adding to the list of "to do", thanks.Peace,Elemental

You might also want to try wordpress. It's not just for blogs
Randi, Thanks again for the reply,That never crossed my mind, thanks.Peace,Elemental

Archived