Live Streaming Audio

cybergeek

Hi can someone tell me how I can get live audio streaming on my site. Kinda like I have a button on my site and when the viewer presses it that will open windows media player or any one they have set up to and they can hear me live from a different area. I can do video np but audio I'm having troubles with. It's actually kinda like what some radio sites have on their site. Any help will be greatly appreciated.ThankSammy

Most radio stations and thing like that probably use a media server to stream everything. Adobe and Real each make media servers, the Flash media server from Adobe will stream data as Flash audio so that it can be played in a Flash player online. Other sites like somafm.com send a playlist that includes several streaming URLs the player can access, somafm uses Shoutcast servers. Shoutcast is a pretty popular audio streaming server. This is what somafm says about their setup:

SomaFM uses Shoutcast servers, Orban audio processors and Orban Opticodec aacPlus encoders. 3GPP servers are Darwin Streaming Servers from Apple Computer. We use a combination of FreeBSD and Linux servers for stream servers and web servers, at various ISPs where we find good values on bandwidth.
somafm only does audio, no video, so all of that is just for audio. The audio processors and encoders are for encoding the real-time audio signal into a streamable file. They typically have around 10,000 or so simultaneous listeners, and from their donations page it looks like it costs them around $30,000 a month to run everything.

Most radio stations and thing like that probably use a media server to stream everything. Adobe and Real each make media servers, the Flash media server from Adobe will stream data as Flash audio so that it can be played in a Flash player online. Other sites like somafm.com send a playlist that includes several streaming URLs the player can access, somafm uses Shoutcast servers. Shoutcast is a pretty popular audio streaming server. This is what somafm says about their setup:somafm only does audio, no video, so all of that is just for audio. The audio processors and encoders are for encoding the real-time audio signal into a streamable file. They typically have around 10,000 or so simultaneous listeners, and from their donations page it looks like it costs them around $30,000 a month to run everything.
Is there a free one I can find that will do this?

Archived