I'm So Bad At Designing Websites

omgRawr

I have about one year's worth of experience with HTML and CSS, but I still can't design websites very well. I do manage to create some good designs, but usually that's because I get lucky and choose the right colors and layout. But, I really want to improve my design skills. Usually my websites are only solid colors with no images or other creative layouts. I don't need advice on how to improve my design skills though. What I want to know is, what are some tools that can help me in designing a website? I'm talking about tools like color pickers that choose good matching colors for me - I'm not very good with that. And you know, things like that. So does anyone know of any?

That's my weakness. I'm a master at coding but can't design anything. It requires a lot of imagination.As for color choosing. They use complementary colors. The complement of blue is yellow, which is composed of red and green, so a page that's mostly blue can have elements varying between red, green and yellow tones. Red, green and blue are three points of one triangle; cyan, magenta and yellow are the complementary triangle. Cyan is complementary to red, magenta is complementary to green, yellow is complementary to blue.Orange is a mix of 75% red and 25% green, so its complement would be somewhere between blue and cyan, which is sky blue.

I have about one year's worth of experience with HTML and CSS, but I still can't design websites very well. I do manage to create some good designs, but usually that's because I get lucky and choose the right colors and layout. But, I really want to improve my design skills. Usually my websites are only solid colors with no images or other creative layouts. I don't need advice on how to improve my design skills though. What I want to know is, what are some tools that can help me in designing a website? I'm talking about tools like color pickers that choose good matching colors for me - I'm not very good with that. And you know, things like that. So does anyone know of any?
omgRawr, Check out this site Color Scheme Designer it may take a moment to load.Peace,Elemental

omgRawr, Check out this site Color Scheme Designer it may take a moment to load.Peace,Elemental
Ha! Thats pretty cool! Good for getting similar colors for hovers and links and stuff. You wouldnt want to use just shades of one color for the entire site though, black and white are good with most anything. You can always add them. Theres also a gradient maker here thats pretty cool. Used with the above site to get similar hex color codes its even better. Breaks up the monotony of mono-color divs and spans.

kuler.adobe.com is a pretty neat place for doing color stuff. For inspiration, you can always look at other css templates at http://www.freecsstemplates.org/ to help stimulate some of those creative juices. Sometimes if you're doing a website for someone else, they will already have a design/layout in mind, or if they have brochures, menus, handouts you could always use those as a base/reference point.

Archived