Strreplace And Array

ckrudelux

Okay so have I have some stuff that needs to be replaced and the strreplace works just great butI don't like to wirte the arrays on two seperate rows I would rather have them at the same row.EXAMPLE: Like I don't like to do it.

$input = "this is a text with abc";$replace = array("a","b","c");$to = array("1","2","3");$output = strreplace($replace, $to, $input);

This is annoying to keep track on which belongs to which.would be easier if the array look something like this:

$replace =  array("a=1","b=2","c=3");

Hope someone understands what I mean and can tell if I can do an array like that and how I make it work with strreplace.

You can do it as follows:SYNOPSIS strReplace -find [TEXT TO FIND] -replace [TEXT TO SUBSITUTE IN] -string [sTRING TO BE SEARCHED]EXAMPLES strReplace -find pizza -replace hot dogs -string I like pizza. (returns: I like hot dogs.) strReplace -find a -replace o -string Banana Camera (returns: Bonono Camero)

You mean something like:

$replace =  array("a" => "1","b" => "2","c" => "3");$output = $input;foreach ($replace as $original => $to) {   $output = str_replace($original, $to, $output);}

You mean something like:
$replace =  array("a" => "1","b" => "2","c" => "3");$output = $input;foreach ($replace as $original => $to) {   $output = str_replace($original, $to, $output);}

Yes whats that I wanted. :)Okay so just so I understand this. "foreach()" is used to exicute on every line you get from the "$replace" as means the line and $original is the name for the first and "=>" means what they are equal but why the arrow? and $to is the second value. What are the rules in doing this kind of array?
 foreach ($replace as $original => $to)

"foreach" takes an array and loops over it. The first variable (before the "=>") is a temporary variable, with which you label the currently looped over key. The second variable (after the "=>") is a temporary variable, with which you label the currently looped over value. So, with

foreach ($replace as $original => $to) {

in the first loop, $original contains "a", and $to contains "1". At the second loop, $original contains "b", and $to contains "2", and so forth. The loop automatically stops when there are no more array members (in this case, after "c").foreach also has a form in which you address only the value. For example:

foreach ($replace as $to) {

Is the same as above, but you won't get the array keys within the loop.Note that using for each instead of a single array may be simpler for the eye, but it's less efficient. str_replace supports using arrays as values, and thus, if you pass an array, PHP only has to call the str_replace function once. When you use foreach, the str_replace function is called the number of times you need to check for things.To combine easier readability and efficiency, consider

$replace = array("a","b","c");$to = array("1","2","3");

Or at worst

$replace = array(0=>"a",1=>"b",2=>"c");$to = array(0=>"1",1=>"2",2=>"3");

Either way, it's easier to see which belongs to which. Especially in the second case, where you can just look at the keys, and know that each $replace key corresponds to the same $to key.

"foreach" takes an array and loops over it. The first variable (before the "=>") is a temporary variable, with which you label the currently looped over key. The second variable (after the "=>") is a temporary variable, with which you label the currently looped over value. So, with
foreach ($replace as $original => $to) {

in the first loop, $original contains "a", and $to contains "1". At the second loop, $original contains "b", and $to contains "2", and so forth. The loop automatically stops when there are no more array members (in this case, after "c").foreach also has a form in which you address only the value. For example:

foreach ($replace as $to) {

Is the same as above, but you won't get the array keys within the loop.Note that using for each instead of a single array may be simpler for the eye, but it's less efficient. str_replace supports using arrays as values, and thus, if you pass an array, PHP only has to call the str_replace function once. When you use foreach, the str_replace function is called the number of times you need to check for things.To combine easier readability and efficiency, consider

$replace = array("a","b","c");$to = array("1","2","3");

Or at worst

$replace = array(0=>"a",1=>"b",2=>"c");$to = array(0=>"1",1=>"2",2=>"3");

Either way, it's easier to see which belongs to which. Especially in the second case, where you can just look at the keys, and know that each $replace key corresponds to the same $to key.

This was really good to know thanks alot :)

Archived