Why The ###### Buy A Domain?

Sicario

I'm just thinking, if noone has a site on a domain, why can't I claim it and get a deed or something.How come no matter what the site is, I have to pay godaddy.com?WTF IS GODADDY.COM?It's not ICANN is it?Honestly, is this how it was always, and everywhere, it seems sooo....capitalist!?In China do you have to buy a Domain?Is there anyway I can just take domain?Please explain this whole nonsense to me...?

lol

Please explain this whole nonsense to me...?
It's so that people don't take up vast amounts of domain names just to sit on and not use. The base domain name fee is fairly nominal IMO, and you also pay to get your domain registered with the internet's DNS, and for support, etc. So the reason for registrars is mainly to regulate things IMO.
How come no matter what the site is, I have to pay godaddy.com?
You don't have to pay Godaddy, but you do have to pay a registrar. You can get free domains on some country codes (by virtue of the controlling registrars, regional internet authorities, and governments), e.g. .tk.
WTF IS GODADDY.COM?It's not ICANN is it?
Godaddy is a domain registrar, they are accredited by ICANN (and they did have to pay for that :)).http://www.icann.org/en/registrars/accreditation-process.htmAlso, registrars are closely watched by ICANN for bad behavior, e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_Solut...e_front_running.
In China do you have to buy a Domain?
It is up to the registrars in that country. A company could become a registrar and start giving out free .cn domain names... but the registrars have to pay for each domain as well, so that's not likely to happen.
Is there anyway I can just take domain?
Without hacking into the DNS, no.

I'm just thinking, if noone has a site on a domain, why can't I claim it and get a deed or something.How come no matter what the site is, I have to pay godaddy.com?WTF IS GODADDY.COM?It's not ICANN is it?Honestly, is this how it was always, and everywhere, it seems sooo....capitalist!?In China do you have to buy a Domain?Is there anyway I can just take domain?Please explain this whole nonsense to me...?
Sicarius, No, but seriously, how do you really feel about it?I'm not as heated about it as you are but I get your drift. I think you know the why but I'll give you my two cents anyway. The way I see it, you have to pay for a trademark or copyright to protect your property, right? This site, for example, it's got a great reputation, and rightfully so, they help out a whole lot of people, newbie’s and experienced a like. Imagine having numerous sites with the same url as W3schools.com but all those other sites had garbage content, it wouldn't be long before this site lost it's great reputation, one they've worked hard to get and maintain; see where I'm going with this... I'm sure you get the "why" and to be honest I don't like it much either, having to pay for a domain name or renew it every year. And maybe it is a bit capitalistic but you know what, I wish I'd thought of it first, I'd be richer than Gates and Buffett combined.What really ticks me off is that someone else purchased my name’s url before I did and their not even using it, it's up for sale to the highest bidder and the bidding starts at $200. I wish I’d thought of that also.Peace,Elemental

What really ticks me off is that someone else purchased my name’s url before I did and their not even using it, it's up for sale to the highest bidder and the bidding starts at $200.
Well how many people are there with your name? Offer him $100 for it, and tell him that's a generous offer. Domain squatters are just about the single most useless type of person I can think of. I had some guy offer to sell me the domain "deemos.com" for $10,000. What possible value does deemos.com have to justify a $10,000 price? I offered him a significantly smaller price and he turned it down, since nothing's happening with that domain now then obviously he didn't make any money on it, so instead of making what I offered him he ended up making nothing because he was asking a ridiculous price for something with arbitrary value. So offer your guy $100, or $50, and tell him he's lucky to even get an offer.

I really don't like squatters. Have you tired using a diffrent extention to the name you want? Cause frankly I wouldn't give more than what the name is worth. I have a place where I can get a name for 14.99.

Archived