Register

e4games

Well I have a database all set up (it has a table that has ID, username, and password) I don't really know how to make a register php code. Like I know how to make the form where they put there username and stuff, but my question is how to submit a the information into the database

Whenever I try (even with the code justsomeguy has) it displays the code were you check to make sure everything is right..(you can use the justsomeguy code for example) why does it keep doing that and what do you have to change to make it not display the code This is the code

<?phprequire_once 'db.php';$page_mode = isset($_POST['page_mode']) ? $_POST['page_mode'] : '';$error_string = '';if ($page_mode == 'register'){  $email = trim($_POST['email']); // trim to remove whitespace  $name = trim($_POST['name']); // trim to remove whitespace  $password = $_POST['password'];  $conf_password = $_POST['conf_password'];  if (!isValidEmail($email))	$error_string .= 'Please enter a valid email address.<br>';  if ($name == '')	$error_string .= 'Please enter your name.<br>';  if (strlen(trim($password)) < 6)	$error_string .= 'You must enter a password of at least 6 characters.<br>';  if ($password != $conf_password)	$error_string .= 'The password and confirmation password do not match.<br>';  if ($error_string == '')  {	$result = db_query("SELECT id FROM users WHERE email='" . mysql_real_escape_string($email) . "'");	if (mysql_num_rows($result) > 0)	  $error_string .= 'That email address is already registerd.<br>';	else	{	  $email = mysql_real_escape_string($email); // protect against SQL attacks	  $name = mysql_real_escape_string($name);	  $password = sha1($password); // hash password	  	  db_query("INSERT INTO users (email, name, password) VALUES ('{$email}', '{$name}', '{$password}')");	  header('Location: thankyou.php');	  exit();	}  }}function isValidEmail($email = ''){	return preg_match("/^[\d\w\/+!=#|$?%{^&}*`'~-][\d\w\/\.+!=#|$?%{^&}*`'~-]*@[A-Z0-9][A-Z0-9.-]{1,61}[A-Z0-9]\.[A-Z]{2,6}$/ix",$email);}?><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd"><html>  <head>	<title>Register</title>	<style type="text/css">	.error_text {	  color: #FF0000;	  width: 400px;	  text-align: center;	}	.left_box {	  float: left;	  width: 150px;	  text-align: right;	  padding-right: 5px;	}	.right_box {	  clear: right;	}	</style>  </head>  <body>	<div class="error_text"><?php echo $error_string; ?></div>	<form action="register.php" method="post">	<input type="hidden" name="page_mode" value="register">	<div class="left_box">Email address</div>	<div class="right_box"><input type="text" name="email" size="30" maxlength="255" value="<?php if (isset($email)) echo $email; ?>"></div>	<div class="left_box">Name</div>	<div class="right_box"><input type="text" name="name" size="30" maxlength="255" value="<?php if (isset($name)) echo $name; ?>"></div>	<div class="left_box">Password</div>	<div class="right_box"><input type="password" name="password" size="30"></div>	<div class="left_box">Confirm Password</div>	<div class="right_box"><input type="password" name="conf_password" size="30"></div>	<div class="left_box"> </div>	<div class="right_box"><input type="submit" value="Register" size="30"></div>	</form>  </body></html>

You need to make sure that you're running the code on a web server that has PHP installed and configured. You need to access the scripts through a browser using an HTTP URL, a "file://" URL does not work. You've asked about this a couple times so I'll say it again: the try-it editor on the w3schools site does not execute PHP code.

Archived