Javascript Sleep()

shadowayex

As I'm sure many people are aware, the lack of a sleep() function is a pain to some more complex JavaScript programs. I've been working on trying to make one, to no avail. I've tried many set ups, and it all stops responding at the same point, the while loop designed to pause the script itself. Here's two set ups that I have that I though for sure would work.Both functions look like sleep(time) where time is the length, in milliseconds, that the script should sleep.Set up 1: The simpler of the two

function sleep(time)			{				//Create Date Object				var dateObj = new Date();				//Get Current Time				var current = dateObj.getTime();				//Add Sleep Time To Calculate Stopping Time				var end = current + time;				//The Ingenious				/*----------------------------------				The Following Loop Continues To Loop				Until Current Is Greater Than End,				Updating Current Everytime. Meaning,				It Should Stop When The Current Time				Is Past The End Time.				----------------------------------*/				while(current <= end)				{					current = dateObj.getTime(); //continuously find current time				}			}

Set up 2: A little more complex, but not much

function sleep(time)			{				//Create Date Object				var dateObj = new Date();				//Get Current Time				var current = dateObj.getTime();				//Add Sleep Time To Calculate Stopping Time				var end = current + time;				//The Ingenious				/*----------------------------------				The Following Loop Continues To Loop				Until Current Is Equal Than End,				Updating Current Everytime. When It				Equals End, Stop Is Changed To True				And The Loop Should End*/				var stop = false;				while(stop != true)				{					current = dateObj.getTime();					if(current == end)					{						stop = true;					}				}			}

I'm not sure why I thought the second script would work is the first one didn't, but whatever. I think the reason it's locking is because the script is calling dateObj.getTime() so much. I'm not sure where to go from here. Anyone have any ideas?

If the browser detects that a loop is being repeated too many times it will ask the user if they want to stop the script.You can use setTimeout for the sleep function:

setTimeout(function() {  // The rest of the application},3000);

If you want to actually stop all of the executing code including event detection and the rest it gets more complex. I found an article here explaining a way:http://hyperstruct.net/2008/5/17/synchrono...-basic-solution

Archived