Hiding Option Elements

djp1988

Hello, I am going through my project now jsut making it work on all browsers, and I ran into a curious problem, it would seem that if you set an option tag, inside a select tag to display:none; it still displays in safari !I am shocked by this !But if i Inspect element, then the style really is display:none but it's showing !Maybe the style attribute isn't standard for an <option>But i think it is....Anyone run into this before? It would be interesting to see if it's the same problem on safari for PC and Chrome

<select name="select" id="select">  <option>one</option>  <option style="display:none">two - i should be hidden !</option>  </select>

EDIT: I just checked and safari for Pc and Chrome both have this problemEDIT 2: Opera shows a list element with no content, and when switching an existing element to display:none with DOM scripting, the element is still shown and it's content is also visible

This is very disappointing, what I'm doing is I have a list of countries, in alphabetical order, and when i select one, and press an 'add' button, the DOM kicks in and gets the countries name and adds it to another list along with a 'remove' button, a simple <ul> list and hides the selected option from the select list, and then selects the first option, which is a 'choose country' option with value=0Then if i look at the drop down menu again, the country I have chosen is no longer there, well it is, but it's just hidden, then if i click the remove button for that country in my other list, i simply do a removeChild for that element, and look up which element it is in the select list and set the display back to block.Obviously being alphabetical, I can't remove it and add it back in the correct position again, I could probably loop through and find the correct position of it, by comparing each letter in ascii code, but that's starting to get a little heavy for this simple application.Any suggestions ?

This is very disappointing, what I'm doing is I have a list of countries, in alphabetical order, and when i select one, and press an 'add' button, the DOM kicks in and gets the countries name and adds it to another list along with a 'remove' button, a simple <ul> list and hides the selected option from the select list, and then selects the first option, which is a 'choose country' option with value=0Then if i look at the drop down menu again, the country I have chosen is no longer there, well it is, but it's just hidden, then if i click the remove button for that country in my other list, i simply do a removeChild for that element, and look up which element it is in the select list and set the display back to block.Obviously being alphabetical, I can't remove it and add it back in the correct position again, I could probably loop through and find the correct position of it, by comparing each letter in ascii code, but that's starting to get a little heavy for this simple application.Any suggestions ?
You could have an array already made in Javascript and just go updating the options with whichever elements you need.

Archived