Layering Problem In Ie

gmoney7771

Hello-I just redesigned our website, www.vernalcity.org. On our main page, I included a weather gadget that I thought would be pretty handy. The problem I have is when you try to access the drop down menu close to the weather gadget, the weather gadget stays on top of the menu, making the menu unable to see. This only happens in IE, Firefox works fine. Is there a way that I can code it to make it work in IE? Any suggestions would be very helpful.P.S. I am a very inexperienced web designer, so I just used Fireworks to create the drop down menu and edit my websites in Dreamweaver.

I tried it in my default browser (Chrome) and IE and I don't see any layering problems. Have you fixed it?This kind of problem is easily solved by changing the z-index in css. I think the default z-index for an element is always 1. So if you wanted your menu/dropdown menus to be above all the other content you would use this-z-index: 2; (or 100, whatever you want).You can also go backwards,z-index: -23442;

This is the problem I am getting in IE.LayerProblem.jpgI will have to try the those z values and see if that helps me. Thanks for the feedback.Edit: Learned more about the z values and fixed it. Made my nav bar position relative with a z value of 1. Thanks again MrFish for the guidance.

• 3 weeks later...

I had the same type of problem on my website. I solved it very simply. It looks like you are using a WYSIWYG program to create it. If you feel comfortable in the code, just go in and move the div containing your menu down physically in your code. If you don't specify most browsers simply display the divs layered in the order that they are in the code. The last one in the code will be the top one on the page. This includes javascript and css menus. It is a very busy website, and alot of blue. I might suggest using a different color every once in a while. Also the menu items that are in a cursive font are hard to read at a glance, you might switch those to a more web friendly font like Times New Roman, Ariel, Verdana, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

Nothing to important but not all of the dropdown menu backgrounds are the same. I dont know if you made a background for each menu or not but it is kinda weird.And like vin said the script on the menus are not very easy to read you could use a fancy normal font like times or something else.Not be sound stupid or anything, kids might not know how to read it. considering its a site for the whole city.Also looking around more on the Uintah county site they have a link to your cities fire department that page does not exist. /departments/fire.html. Might want to look into setting a page up for that.Other than that it is a well formed site for a beginner.EDIT:Looking at it again the flowers on the header are blurry a clearer picture will look much better.

Archived