Validating/filtering The Data

Guest FirefoxRocks

Guest FirefoxRocks

On the W3Schools site, PHP filters are introduced to validate data coming from insecure sources (user, cookies, etc.) The syntax is like this:

if (!filter_input(INPUT_POST, 'clsid', FILTER_VALIDATE_INT))   {   echo "Invalid class ID";   } else   {   // do something   }

Right now I'm using:

if(isset($_POST["clsid"]) && is_numeric($_POST["clsid"]) && !empty($_POST["clsid"])){	$class = $_POST["clsid"];}else {	die("<p class='error'>Error! Invalid author. Please contact the website adminstrator.</p>");}

Which one is better?Also, with regular expressions, why isn't this working?

if(preg_match('/[^A-Z0-9_\.]/i', $_POST["user"])) {	die("<p>Error! Invalid username. Usernames can only contain alphanumeric characters (A-Z, 0-9), underscores (_) and dots (.)");}else {	$username = $_POST["user"];}

If there's a suitable filter for whatever you're trying to achieve, it could be worth using it... performance wise that is... since you have only one function call, instead of several. If there's a filter equivalent to a single function call... it becomes a matter of preference... I'd choose not to use filter in that case.For the regex, try to use a negative lookadead with a positive range:

if(preg_match('/(?![A-Z0-9_\.])/i', $_POST["user"]))

I think what you have already should work, but try that non the less.

Archived