Software Architecture

Kon-Tiki

Hey,I've gotten pretty good at coding over the years, but it always takes some time. I know it'd go alot faster if I get some notions of software architecture, so I can make and adjust everything alot more efficiently. I've heard of the MVC model, but got no idea how to even begin writing it (unless I use stuff like Joomla or Drupal, which I'm not too fond of. Seen too many good coders struggle to get their site to work without stupid flaws coming from those frameworks). I got some database-management functions (like a function that takes a query as string and passes an object with data back), some input-handling functions (like one that cleans GET/POST-variables) and some layout functions (like for the headers/static banner part, and for the menu). That's as far as I am, and I think it might be good to use those. I just don't know where to look to learn how to do the architecture well, let alone how to use these bricks to make a house.Can anybody give me some pointers, please?Thanks in advance,Kon-Tiki

Personally, I have my own templating engine, which contains stuff like yours, only organized in a way that I like it.In particular, I like to have one master index.php page where I choose the document to load, select the language, MIME type, and all that. After the document is selected, I do processing with XSLT and/or a custom XML dialect of mine. The dialect itself contains elements for connecting to the DB, creating some specialized XHTML output, etc. Of course, the XML elements are mapped to PHP objects, which are the ones that really do the processing.But that's just my style. Yours might be different. Either way, keep up what you're doing. Try to build a site or two with the bricks you have already, and create new ones if you must. You'll probably blow it the first time, but you'll know what to abstract away and what not. You'll see what works for you and what not.

Archived