Borders In Ff/ie8

thescientist

www.seasonsnh.com/newsite_testSo on the new site I've developed, in IE7 i get left and right borders on the page, but in FF3 and IE8, I get no borders. I figure that the latter browsers are more standards compliant so I'm assuming there is something wrong with my code, but I made sure everything validates and I don't have anything really weird going on that I can think of. I want the left and right borders if I can get them. The only thing I can think of is that my #main_nav has a -5px margin-top property. Any thoughts?edit: The #content_holder div is 758px wide with a 1px border on each side (to equal 760px). In FF/IE8 you can see there is (what I'm guessing) to be a 2px shortfall on the right hand side of the content_holder because the border does not appear to be rendering, for whatever reason. I know i brought this up before a couple of weeks ago, but that was at the end of another thread I had started, I think so apologize if this appears to be some sort of double post.

I believe this hack might be the source of the problem:

border-color: -moz-use-text-color

And this line would prevent any borders from being shown:

border-style: none;

http://www.seasonsnh.com/newsite_test/style.csshere's the link to my style sheet. I don't think I have that hack in there, where did you find it?and this is the div in question
#content_holder{	width: 758px;	border-style: solid;	border-left: 1px;	border-right: 1px;	border-top: 0px;	border-bottom: 0px;	margin-left: 10px;	background-repeat: no-repeat;	clear: both;}

http://www.seasonsnh.com/newsite_test/style.csshere's the link to my style sheet. I don't think I have that hack in there, where did you find it?and this is the div in question
#content_holder{	width: 758px;	border-style: solid;	border-left: 1px;	border-right: 1px;	border-top: 0px;	border-bottom: 0px;	margin-left: 10px;	background-repeat: no-repeat;	clear: both;}

I was using firebug and I found it there. I think that probably was generated by firebug since a color isn't specified.Firebug tells me that your #content-holder style is getting border-style: none; from somewhere.

You should specify a border colour... Maybe FF and IE have different default border colours (transparent vs black perhaps)

Well I looked in my style sheet, and border-style only appears twice. Once in #content_holder with : solid applied to it, and then my #main_nav has a : none in it. I commented it out of #main_nav just to see what would happen but I'm still getting no borders except in IE7. crickey, what the jimminy?

I understand the problem now.The problem is this:

border-left: 1px;	border-right: 1px;	border-top: 0px;	border-bottom: 0px;

border-left specifies all the left border properties in one declaration. Since you omitted some information, it took the default value (border-left-style: none).Try this instead:

border-width: 0 1px;

Archived