Mail Settings (locally Hosted Server)

chibineku

I am running Apache as a local server and am creating a simple mailing list system. I want to set the default outgoing mail server to AOL. Is this even possible if I'm not making the server/pages live? I am connected to the internet on the same computer, of course.If it is possible, does anyone know the settings? A quick :) search gave me these settings:

[mail function]; For Win32 only.SMTP = smtp.aol.comsmtp_port = 143

for my php.ini file, which even after a server restart doesn't work. I get this in my apache error log:[error] [client 127.0.0.1] PHP Warning: mail() [<a href='function.mail'>function.mail</a>]: Failed to connect to mailserver at "localhost" port 25, verify your "SMTP" and "smtp_port" setting in php.ini or use ini_set() in C:\\Program Files\\Apache Software Foundation\\Apache2.2\\htdocs\\sendmymail.php on line 44, referer: http://127.0.0.1/sendmymail.phpThe setting adjustments I made are not reflected here, nor in my phpinfo page, which is a little strange. I checked and there don't seem to be other copies of php.ini floating around, so changes to the one in my php installation directory should be definitive. Any help would be appreciated. If need be, I can also use any other mailing system, it's just that AOL is my usual one. I am away to test using my hosting company's server to see if that works.Muchos gracias.

To check which version of php.ini it's using, create a phpinfo page. It will tell you where the config file is that it's using:

<?phpphpinfo();?>

For what it's worth, I'm not able to connect to smtp.aol.com on port 143.

SMTP usually runs over port 25, 143 is the IMAP port.

Archived