Large Background Img

idfc

Hey all,Im trying to create an old parchment (sp?) paper img in gimp and set it as my background img for my text to rest on. Question is, Since this image will be decently large, wont this slow the loading time of my page waay down? any other program or tips you all could give me to still use this idea for an image but without slowing me down to much?thanks!

Make a small image and tile it.
Keep in mind im (obviously) a newb,Could you please clarify. if i have an image and make it smaller, then repeat that same image, that would not create the same image but larger, it would make a bunch of the small images... What am I missing?(feel free to roll eyes now...)

I mean, tile it with CSS, so the use only has to download one tile of it. So instead of having one giant 2000 * 2000 image, you have one small 100 * 100 that you then use with background-repeat:repeat; to spread across your page.

ok, im getting closer to understanding. Im familiar with repeating x and y for background images, but if my image is different on all 4 corners repeating it would not make it look like it was originally. It would work if it was uniform on all sides but the image im thinking of creating would have unique corners so repeating a small image would not create the desired effect, would it? (confused)

Hi, repeating backgrounds work better with simpler images, lets say your images is:/\\/so when repeated is going to be:/\/\/\\/\/\//\/\/\\/\/\/but if your image is a landscape or a any complex image, your background is going to be the image over and over again, anyway its your call whether or not to use the imagemaybe a barely visible watermark would be a good idea too

If you want the image the be different on the edges you would set up a 3x3 table and have one image for each corner that isn't going to tile, images for the top and bottom borders that should be able to tile horizontally, images for the left and right borders that should tile vertically, and an image for the center that tiles. All of your content would go in the center cell, the others would just be to show the images.

If you want the image the be different on the edges you would set up a 3x3 table and have one image for each corner that isn't going to tile, images for the top and bottom borders that should be able to tile horizontally, images for the left and right borders that should tile vertically, and an image for the center that tiles. All of your content would go in the center cell, the others would just be to show the images.
I get it now. (obviously) im very new to this and as im sure you all know, I have read alot about "dont even think about making tables..." etc so I havent ressearched them much. It seems, however, that with my goalin mind a table is my only/best optionthanks all

Archived